Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello

I just joined.  I have more than 325 composition/recordings.

I use Sibelius and sound libraries to put together new compositions.  I compose to staff and then when I play back, Sibelius uses sound libraries for the actual instrument sounds.  These instruments include voilin, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, etc...electric guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, acoustic guitar, mandolin, ukelele

I have been able to create big band jazz, jazz fusion, orchestra, and blue grass with real instrument sounds.  Incredible virtual bands!

Anybody interested in learning how to do this?  I am think about putting together some videos but that would obviously be a lot of work, so I am trying to figure out how many people might be interested

thanks

Views: 987

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

GPO 4 was released around 2010, so thats not a decade. Would you say that CineSymphony Lite is the best for the money?

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

I completely disagree with you. Garritan doesn't even sound remotely like real instruments. The strings are horrible, the percussion sounds not noticeable, you can almost tell what the woodwinds are suppose to be, and as a brass player the brass simply make me cringe sounding like synth sounds on cheap keyboards. Can you get a nice sound with Garritan? Sure, but it won't be an orchestral or "real" sound. Concerning CineSymphony Lite, you have all the main orchestral instruments sounding great with real reverb not that mess Garritan drowns their samples in, long and short articulations, pizzicato, and they even take the time to separate the timpani from the other percussion. This is everything to get you started to sounding great and feeling proud about your sound and not having to settle for Garritan which has samples that have not been updated for almost 10 years now.

Andrew LeFevre said:

Garriton may not be the best, it's true, but you can get pretty good sounds with them with some EQing and other effects. Plus CineSymphony Lite doesnt have quite as many patches as GPO does. Cine sounds better, but has less in a way.

Right now for the price of 2 cheap sounding Garritan libraries, for a few more bucks you could own CineSymphony Lite from CineSamples.

michael diemer said:

Now now, Garritan may not be in the same league as East West, Vienna etc, but GPO is so cheap that I hardly think it's a waste of money. I am only a rank amateur, but I still am using some of their sounds, mostly the woodwinds, but also some brass and percussion (I'm not big on perc. anyway).

The only thing they really added besides a poor full string and a choir samples were the water down 1 layered SAM brass samples to "beef up" their wimpy brass, and the answer to your other question would be yes.

Andrew LeFevre said:

GPO 4 was released around 2010, so thats not a decade. Would you say that CineSymphony Lite is the best for the money?

I completely disagree with you. Garritan doesn't even sound remotely like real instruments. The strings are horrible, the percussion sounds not noticeable, you can almost tell what the woodwinds are suppose to be, and as a brass player the brass simply make me cringe sounding like synth sounds on cheap keyboards. Can you get a nice sound with Garritan? Sure, but it won't be an orchestral or "real" sound. Concerning CineSymphony Lite, you have all the main orchestral instruments sounding great with real reverb not that mess Garritan drowns their samples in, long and short articulations, pizzicato, and they even take the time to separate the timpani from the other percussion. This is everything to get you started to sounding great and feeling proud about your sound and not having to settle for Garritan which has samples that have not been updated for almost 10 years now.

Andrew LeFevre said:

Garriton may not be the best, it's true, but you can get pretty good sounds with them with some EQing and other effects. Plus CineSymphony Lite doesnt have quite as many patches as GPO does. Cine sounds better, but has less in a way.

Right now for the price of 2 cheap sounding Garritan libraries, for a few more bucks you could own CineSymphony Lite from CineSamples.

michael diemer said:

Now now, Garritan may not be in the same league as East West, Vienna etc, but GPO is so cheap that I hardly think it's a waste of money. I am only a rank amateur, but I still am using some of their sounds, mostly the woodwinds, but also some brass and percussion (I'm not big on perc. anyway).

The 10 year-old statement came from Gary Garritan himself on his forum concerning the age of the samples, and here's what you can do with CineSymphony Lite: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JzLX5rRe-VE

Geez, ya know, if the kid wants to spend his dough on GPO, what's it to you? You on some anti-Garritan crusade or something? It's his money, Rodney.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service