Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello

I just joined.  I have more than 325 composition/recordings.

I use Sibelius and sound libraries to put together new compositions.  I compose to staff and then when I play back, Sibelius uses sound libraries for the actual instrument sounds.  These instruments include voilin, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, etc...electric guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, acoustic guitar, mandolin, ukelele

I have been able to create big band jazz, jazz fusion, orchestra, and blue grass with real instrument sounds.  Incredible virtual bands!

Anybody interested in learning how to do this?  I am think about putting together some videos but that would obviously be a lot of work, so I am trying to figure out how many people might be interested

thanks

Views: 1016

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is an issue which seems to pop up all the time. I see it in the following way: The purpose of film music is that it is  used interactively in a film ( or am I wrong?) When I hear film music, I always wonder for which film it is composed, and I would like to see this movie, and hear how and where the music is utilized . And due to it´s purpose, there is basically only a  need for one single performance. In principle,this could be an optimized playback, performed by a computer.

The purpose of concert music is, that it is performed in concert by live musicians. Nobody will go to a concert and pay for an expensive ticket to listen to a computer playback. Producing a perfect, ledgible score is therefore of crucial importance for people, who are composing this kind of music. The only exception is when musicians are playing improvised music (jazz for example)., where a simplified lead sheet may be sufficient. 

Bob Porter said:

Not to go off on a tangent, or anything, but there are many here who do not write with the goal of a live performance. Music for games and short films(or low budget films), for example.

I am the biggest advocate concerning music from live musicians, Michael, but this thread is about using sampled libraries with notation programs. Maybe you can start another thread concerning the topic of live vs. sampled libraries but now you are getting everyone off topic. Your use of dots before you said, "by real musicians" almost comes off rude thinking that I am bound only by the inspiration of sampled sounds. I know you don't know me, but let me say this, everything I write I get to hear played live. I hear some pieces performed so much I get sick and tired of hearing them, and then I hear some of my pieces misinterpreted so much that I am close to just start making recordings myself.

Michael Lofting said:

Hi Rodney

Surely our aim as composers is to get our music played ..... by real musicians.

Hi Rodney
Sorry if my comment seemed rude. Not my intention at all. My sincere apologies.
I use just Sibelius 7.5 with the lite sound set to realise my pieces so I was interested in a conversation about better and better sound sets.
It's all good.

Michael Lofting said:
Hi Rodney
Sorry if my comment seemed rude. Not my intention at all. My sincere apologies.
I use just Sibelius 7.5 with the lite sound set to realise my pieces so I was interested in a conversation about better and better sound sets.

Hi Gilbert:

I'd be interested. I currently use Sibelius for writing and playback and would be interested in any tips and tricks you might have to make playback sound better. I use East-West with Sibelius but am considering others like VSL and Berlin so would be interested in how you get VSL to work with Sibelius.

RH

Hi guys,

I'm trying out Sibelius to see if i will end up buying it but i can't get Garriton Personal Orchestra to work with Sibelius 7.5. I tried downloading the sound set for it but that didn't work.

Ive heard mixed things about the included sounds. But the demo is actually a fully featured trial version for 30 days, so the only thing that changes when you buy it is the registration.

Bob Porter said:

I'm not sure you can get libraries to work with the demo. I know people use GPO with Sibelius. So, you'll have to make the call on buying it. You might be surprised at the quality of sounds that come with Sibelius.

If you are going for sound, you will soon hate Garritan and the money you wasted on their products.

Andrew LeFevre said:

Ive heard mixed things about the included sounds. But the demo is actually a fully featured trial version for 30 days, so the only thing that changes when you buy it is the registration.

Bob Porter said:

I'm not sure you can get libraries to work with the demo. I know people use GPO with Sibelius. So, you'll have to make the call on buying it. You might be surprised at the quality of sounds that come with Sibelius.

Now now, Garritan may not be in the same league as East West, Vienna etc, but GPO is so cheap that I hardly think it's a waste of money. I am only a rank amateur, but I still am using some of their sounds, mostly the woodwinds, but also some brass and percussion (I'm not big on perc. anyway).

Right now for the price of 2 cheap sounding Garritan libraries, for a few more bucks you could own CineSymphony Lite from CineSamples.

michael diemer said:

Now now, Garritan may not be in the same league as East West, Vienna etc, but GPO is so cheap that I hardly think it's a waste of money. I am only a rank amateur, but I still am using some of their sounds, mostly the woodwinds, but also some brass and percussion (I'm not big on perc. anyway).

Garriton may not be the best, it's true, but you can get pretty good sounds with them with some EQing and other effects. Plus CineSymphony Lite doesnt have quite as many patches as GPO does. Cine sounds better, but has less in a way.

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

Right now for the price of 2 cheap sounding Garritan libraries, for a few more bucks you could own CineSymphony Lite from CineSamples.

michael diemer said:

I completely disagree with you. Garritan doesn't even sound remotely like real instruments. The strings are horrible, the percussion sounds not noticeable, you can almost tell what the woodwinds are suppose to be, and as a brass player the brass simply make me cringe sounding like synth sounds on cheap keyboards. Can you get a nice sound with Garritan? Sure, but it won't be an orchestral or "real" sound. Concerning CineSymphony Lite, you have all the main orchestral instruments sounding great with real reverb not that mess Garritan drowns their samples in, long and short articulations, pizzicato, and they even take the time to separate the timpani from the other percussion. This is everything to get you started to sounding great and feeling proud about your sound and not having to settle for Garritan which has samples that have not been updated for almost 10 years now.

Andrew LeFevre said:

Garriton may not be the best, it's true, but you can get pretty good sounds with them with some EQing and other effects. Plus CineSymphony Lite doesnt have quite as many patches as GPO does. Cine sounds better, but has less in a way.

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

michael diemer said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service