Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Veni, veni Emanuel for Alto and Baritone single voices, Viola, and Piano

Veni, veni Emanuel for Alto and Baritone single voices, Viola, and Piano

An arrangement for small ensemble of a very old hymn, technically an Advent hymn but often performed as a Christmas carol.

The audio file was created with software as a demo, using choral ah for the vocals, even though the voices are supposed to be single.

Comments welcome.  I've paid a lot of attention to the piano chords, and hope they work with the rest.  The viola double stops should all be possible according to orchestration books, but any comments from viola players would be especially welcome.

Score display and audio file available at YouTube Veni, veni Emanuel for Alto and Baritone single voices, Vio...

Score pdf available at Sheet Music Plus.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that while this composition is based on words and music in the public domain, my adaptation of it is an original creative work under copyright.

For performance or recording permission, please see my permissions page.

Image: Tree of Jesse, from the Psalter of Isabella of England

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unusual and quite beautiful setting of the well-known hymn, very nice. I have only one real criticism, the 8th notes in the piano in bars 32-33 come out of nowhere and do not go anywhere. I very much like the descending triplets later on, though. Of course the MuseScore rendering totally lacks expression; it would be nice to hear your setting performed by real humans.. or even by NotePerformer, for that matter.

Thanks for the comment -- I'll keep your advice in mind for any possible future versions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service