Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Two Voice Counterpoint Etudes based on the Octatonic System of Tonal Organization for piano. I'm basically testing the Video capture thing I discovered on my computer and wanted to check if this is a good format for showing music and score.

So any comments on the video are highly appreciated e.g. hard to follow, annoying rather have the PDF, full page would be better, etc.

Of course comments on the etudes themselves are also welcomed!

Etude I 0:00

Etude II 0:50

Etude III 2:14

Etude IV 4:48

Etude V 5:28

Etude VI 6:38

Etude VII 8:25

Etude VIII 9:19

Etude IX 10:33

Etude X 11:09

Thank you for your time!

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What? Actual comments on the music? Silly man.

Was this done with the game bar? I ask because the experiments I've done with screen record in game bar are not quite as good as the original as far as audio goes.

The Etudes are fine, I suppose. It's hard for me to get excited about tonal structures that throw in unexpected (for my old fashioned brain, at least) stuff. But I can tell they are well put together. Good job.

Ha! Bob, you crack me up man! Unexpected? These are the same modulations and tonicisations that have occurred since Bach... OK fair enough, there's a couple that are in Lydian instead of traditional major and I do push the limits on the time spent in each key... You're definitely not going to like any of my work since this is the most traditional thing I've ever written... (insert sad face).

Yes, this was made with the game bar! I had to do quite a bit of rewiring with my sound cards to get the sound right, but I couldn't manage. It still sounded crappy! In the end I just exported the sound file and attached it to the video. I also found a simple video editor within Windows. I'm quite pleased because the whole process took me less than half an hour!

Anyway, thank you for taking the time!

Bob Porter said:

What? Actual comments on the music? Silly man.

Was this done with the game bar? I ask because the experiments I've done with screen record in game bar are not quite as good as the original as far as audio goes.

The Etudes are fine, I suppose. It's hard for me to get excited about tonal structures that throw in unexpected (for my old fashioned brain, at least) stuff. But I can tell they are well put together. Good job.

I mean it gets the point across, if that's what you're after.

Bach. A trouble maker, to be sure. When I meet up with him, I'm going to give him a piece of my mind. He's made a right mess of everything. We had Palestrina, right? Bach! Humbug!

Bob Porter said:

I mean it gets the point across, if that's what you're after.

Super, thank you!

Bob Porter said:

Bach. A trouble maker, to be sure. When I meet up with him, I'm going to give him a piece of my mind. He's made a right mess of everything. We had Palestrina, right? Bach! Humbug!

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

I liked III a lot. It may be an individual thing but I prefer slow counterpoint, it may be becouse it's easier to understand.

That makes sense, but I also like not being able to understand sometimes and just ride the wave of sound...

Lucas Oliveira Krumenaur said:

I liked III a lot. It may be an individual thing but I prefer slow counterpoint, it may be becouse it's easier to understand.

Beautiful! Has some Baroque quality and/or influence to it.

When I started trying to practice sightreading (the thing that I never managed) I used to try to follow videos like yours I find it really helpful.

That's a really good idea, I would've never thought of it...! I never got any good at it on the piano, but was pretty good on the saxophone, but hen again it's easier... Only one staff to think about!

Kareem Kandiel said:

Beautiful! Has some Baroque quality and/or influence to it.

When I started trying to practice sightreading (the thing that I never managed) I used to try to follow videos like yours I find it really helpful.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service