Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Two short compositions: "The Soldier's Hornpipe" and "A Song for the Trillium Queen"

Hi folks,

Two compositions that I completed last year, but am revisiting this year in order to continue working on them, and possibly expand them out a little bit.

The Soldier's Hornpipe:

https://soundcloud.com/amicusaudio/the-soldiers-hornpipe-ver-4

A Song for the Trillium Queen:

https://soundcloud.com/amicusaudio/a-song-for-the-trillium-queen-ad...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rob,

These are both excellent! I especially liked the second one. The sound stage is prefect to my ears. Reminiscent of older Hollywood productions contrasted by more recent offerings where more unusual elements are sometimes mixed in. They both stand alone beautifully on their own. Nice theme developments. You bring the right instruments in at just the right times! Great mix of instruments.

Thanks for sharing!

You don't say whether these were written for a film, but they have that wonderful cinematic feel, especially Trillium Queen. +1 to Timothy's comment. I loved the themes in both of them, and the instrumental combinations. Congrats.

Thanks for the kind words, Timothy. Much appreciated. And yeah, I am really trying to capture an old school, cinematic vibe with my music. 

Timothy Smith said:

Hi Rob,

These are both excellent! I especially liked the second one. The sound stage is prefect to my ears. Reminiscent of older Hollywood productions contrasted by more recent offerings where more unusual elements are sometimes mixed in. They both stand alone beautifully on their own. Nice theme developments. You bring the right instruments in at just the right times! Great mix of instruments.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the kind words, Liz. I'm a really big fan of soundtrack and scoring music, and that is the sort of stuff I'm trying to emulate. So, I'm thrilled you found my stuff cinematic. That was the goal. :)

Liz Atems said:

You don't say whether these were written for a film, but they have that wonderful cinematic feel, especially Trillium Queen. +1 to Timothy's comment. I loved the themes in both of them, and the instrumental combinations. Congrats.

Hi Rob,

Excellent cinematic work, both themes. The building up is perfect and the recordings are just superb!

Although the mix is rather technical and not so natural, the feel is perfect. I don't mean that as a point of criticism, only a remark on my behalve. (E.g. In the first piece, the lower flute normally can't stand out of the orchestra, but with the right mix it is possible of course.)

Many congrats for the beautiful result and compositions! I've listened to the other themes as well on your SC-page. Just wonderful!

Jos

Thank you for the very kind words, Jos. I really appreciate the feedback. And yeah -- I find it really tricky trying to achieve a natural balance between the instruments, and hard to resist the urge to cheat if it sounds good. Sample libraries, no matter how deeply sampled or how accurate their programming, make it so easy to get away with stuff that would be impossible in the real world :) 

Thanks for taking the time to listen, and for the encouraging words. Hugely appreciated. 

Jos Wylin said:

Hi Rob,

Excellent cinematic work, both themes. The building up is perfect and the recordings are just superb!

Although the mix is rather technical and not so natural, the feel is perfect. I don't mean that as a point of criticism, only a remark on my behalve. (E.g. In the first piece, the lower flute normally can't stand out of the orchestra, but with the right mix it is possible of course.)

Many congrats for the beautiful result and compositions! I've listened to the other themes as well on your SC-page. Just wonderful!

Jos

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service