Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

//update

- This is a new version with the talk track. The piano is a bit more upfront in this version as well.

//update

Hi all, I present the first tune here in the forum for dissection. Please feel free to say what you feel. I can't learn and grow without your honest feedback.

I am not sure the protocol, as I see I can upload the song here, but have it already on my page.

First second one on the list.

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/ShadYoung

Composed and arranged by me,
bass by John Burgess,
all the rest by me.

Cheers
Shad

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ray, thanks for the listen.

I am not even sure I know what a down beat is. I have only just started making music about 18 months ago, and there are so many things I do not have a clue about.

I use the bundled version of Sonar 6 LE (came with my audio card). FX are stock. I used the Dimension Mini Piano Sound font that came bundled with Sonar, one synth from Dimension LE (bundled), and two from Z3ta (which I purchased from Cakewalk). Drum pattern is a loop from Project 5 which is a layer of a pattern called Reggae, and another called dub.

Bass is real.

Cheers
Shad
Hi Shad, First let me say that this is not a critique, because I'm pretty much an uneducated boob and amateur myself!
I think you've got a very cool idea here, the mixing of so many ethnic sounds going on simultaneously. When it first started, I thought it was going to be a reggae piece, but then the other sounds kind of equalized in my ear, all getting attention....which is probably intentional. I thought the most enjoyable part happened (for me) at about 2:23 (that's not exact) after the piano gave way to kind of a full band sound....Here's what I think is missing in this piece....just dynamics. It's all pretty uniformly loud, which kind of fatigues the ear. I struggle with this as well....I know it's hard to do sometimes with the limited equipment I have. That's really my only suggestion. The other thing that ran thru my head while I was listening was Ravel's Bolero, the way it starts with one instrument and then adds another and another, until there's a huge orchestral sound. I wondered if you could start out thinner (and quieter) and then build to that full sound at about 2:23.
I like your sound. I thought it was very visual....like a game, not one of those kill and kill again types, but more like Tetra or Pacman....you know, a simple game without plot. I read your bio. I'm not starving, but I would be if my husband didn't support me. I like your music . My final advice( and no, I should not give anyone else advice but that's never stopped me before) is NOT to try to sound like everyone else. A lot of the computer generated stuff on this site and everywhere else kind of sounds alike. Who needs more of it? Martha
Hi Shad, I feel you made a very interesting track, but I cannot hear well the piano party because of that rhythmical additions. I think you need to remix this track so that the piano (which is actually the king, or at least the knight of all instruments ::) ), is heared well.
Thanks for listening Martha. I hear what you are saying and I tend to agree. I think I will envelop the tracks to make them a bit more dynamically interesting.

Andrew - The piano is that far back because if I bring it up, my appalling performance skills become glaringly apparent and the mistakes stand out like a sore thumb LOL. I do agree tho, its too far back.

Thanks for the listen folks.
Is it MIDI-ed or Audio? If MIDI than it can be edited/corrected

Shad Young said:
Thanks for listening Martha. I hear what you are saying and I tend to agree. I think I will envelop the tracks to make them a bit more dynamically interesting.

Andrew - The piano is that far back because if I bring it up, my appalling performance skills become glaringly apparent and the mistakes stand out like a sore thumb LOL. I do agree tho, its too far back.

Thanks for the listen folks.
This one is midi actually (my more recent ones are audio as I nobody on the Cakewalk song forum liked the sound of the Dimension Mini SFZ so I have started to use my analog piano with its Yamaha Concert Grand setting - which has made it even harder - part two of the Rhapsody piece is stalled at the guitar part as I can't get through a full practice of the part without making mistakes, and I have been practicing for weeks).

I will try to edit it, and then bring it up more.

Cheers
Shad

AndrewG said:
Is it MIDI-ed or Audio? If MIDI than it can be edited/corrected
I have updated this song with some spoken work (me), and an outtake from a recording session for a rap trio at my studio that I liked (it was a breakdown moment). Eventually I would like to write some proper lyrics for this song.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service