Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Timetable for different tempi (bpm to note duration in seconds)

Since nearly a year I attempt now and then to write music to a scene... It gives me a real headache, not being able to write in the so-called "Mickey-Mousing" style... as in synchronised or paralell scoring.
i.e.: The style of Tom & Jerry's Soundtracks

I was wondering, if there is a ready table or something similar, from where I could read how long a quarter note would take in seconds at a tempo of e.g. 115 or 110 bpm (quarters per minute)... I was thinking of a link to a site, covering this issue

If anybody knows a perfect formula for my rather mathematical problem, I'd be more than grateful to hear/read about it.

Thanks in advance

Ario

Views: 388

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I dont know if this would work but perhaps it would point you in the right direction

http://analogx.com/contents/download/Audio/songtime/Freeware.htm
(this guy has a lot of great little free software so do browse around)

to solve your particular math problem
divide 115bpm by 60sec
the quarter note lasts 1.917sec
Thanks alot... Though I've got no time to work with the software now, I do have a good feeling about this. Guessing around the bpm for the time I need in seconds does bug me, but it's better to guess around a formula...

And to your mathematical solution... I believe that cannot be true, since 120 bpm would be two seconds: The faster the piece, the shorter the note value in seconds would be (No offence, eh?)
From my work with Finale, I figured a measure of 4/4 in 120 bpm takes 2 seconds; divided into quarters that would be 0.5 seconds...
Sill I can not come up with some simple solution, to make my own table of tempi (If one could even call it that way)

Again, thanks alot for the link - I apprecciate it alot, and be sure to see a video with theme music by me in near future :)

Regards, Ario.

Mike said:
I dont know if this would work but perhaps it would point you in the right direction

http://analogx.com/contents/download/Audio/songtime/Freeware.htm
(this guy has a lot of great little free software so do browse around)

to solve your particular math problem
divide 115bpm by 60sec
the quarter note lasts 1.917sec
maybe i'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't the formula just be 60 divided by the tempo?

i.e: 60 / 115 = 0.5217 seconds per quarter note.
Thanks god!!!

I simply couldn't come up with this simple solution... I was really going nuts on this!

I don't see, why so few composers actually talk about such things :S

Thank you all for your help again... Ario

Jesse Boley said:
maybe i'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't the formula just be 60 divided by the tempo?

i.e: 60 / 115 = 0.5217 seconds per quarter note.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service