Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is the closing movement of my suite Music for tired Preachers. It opens with string quartet and horn and then it toss the themes around between the string quartet, the orchestra and in one place a wind quintet.

https://soundcloud.com/lennartostman/andante-for-string-quartet-and...

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a link to Spotify, with better sound quality: https://open.spotify.com/track/0e2DNvsoPQEkERRe49eG4V?si=-MD4rdnSRU...

Hello Lennart,

I like the piece a lot. It is easy to follow its development and it has an appealing orchestration. For me, the first half is more appealing due to its many contrasting and surprising events. The second part ends with a truly beautiful tutti performance which I would have liked to hear more from. Maybe in another piece?

Cheers,

Kjell

Thanks Kjell! There might be more big tuttis on the horizon. What I want to write now is a bigger suite for orchestra. If that is what will come is another thing.

Unusual subject matter, which makes it interesting. Also unusual instrumentation, another thing to draw in the curious. Musically, very good counterpoint writing, not an easy thing to pull off. I also liked the effective use of contrasts between the various sections, more good stuff to keep it interesting. I think that keeping the listener's attention is half the battle. The use of contrast is a great way to do it, which can be done in many ways. Here, the primary approach is the contrast between the string group and the orchestra. Also, you alternate loud and quiet sections, another way to provide contrast. All in all, a very effective piece, I enjoyed listening to it.

Thank you very much Michael! I’m very happy you liked the piece. Yes, contrast is important and it’s there, like everything else, to support the melody. I was a bit hesitant if I could balance a string quartet and a full orchestra but I think it worked. Another unusual thing about this piece is that although it’s written in 9 movements it has more in common with a rock album than a classical piece. It consists of four movements for string quartet and English horn, two movements for string quartet, two movements for string quartet and orchestra and one movement for English horn and orchestra. I guess that makes it pretty much impossible to get performed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service