Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

In making this I was attempting to show much variety in the music without it sounding like a totally different piece. From a theory perspective I wanted it to go into some slightly unusual territory. Playing at the edges of abstract but maintaining a structure.

I made two copies. One for my Soundcloud and one for YouTube. My YouTube audio quality took the larger hit on upload. The SC Version seems a bit closer to the master. They both suffered as a result of audio compression.The YT version has notation posted although the violas are showing treble clef. If I were serious about moving this forward i would refine the notation presentation.

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the additional information. I've never seen such an plugin before. The things I regularly use are: MIR Pro (Vienna), The Vienna Suite with Power Pan (for horizontal and vertical position), Virtual Sound Stage (2) and earlier also Altiverb. All my orchestral instruments and sections are being placed with either the panning tool or with the virtual stages mentioned above by using only the IR (impulse responses) of a recorded room or hall; sometimes I add a little bit of sweetening and glueing tail reverb in the master or just before (in buses, depending on the intensity of the instruments). That proceeding implies that instruments basically cannot change their natural volume or position, they are fixated in the orchestra. Of course one could use automation to change that behavior, but I prefer not to do so.

It's quite interesting that you can adapt many features in one plugin (gain, frequency, position, depth, stereo linking...)

Jos

Hi Geert, 

In your country I am not sure if you address by all three names. If you prefer Geert ter Horst I will be happy to comply and mean no disrespect in using "Geert" as this is the way we usually do this here. Please let me know what you prefer :)

I am very appreciative of your comments. Thank you for taking some of your time to listen. In your first concern, After I listened again I realize why measures 17-24 might not feel in place unless it is somehow re enforced later on. In all honesty it departs from any other norms in using 5ths giving this section an eastern music feel momentarily. I will revisit this and see if I can maybe make a better re enforcement and blend. Maybe I can transition from the 5ths into something that better matches the mood elsewhere.

In your second point, I think this is just a mistake on my part plain and simple. It might work in jazz. Not as well here. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Robert, Glad to see you over here on this side of the tracks! I liked your associations to this from your past. Funny how our brains sometimes tie in connections to other things and remind us.

My best explanation for the title and lack of firm resolution is  the feeling one gets sometimes even after a resolution is made leaving us hanging or maybe the process is a sure thing, but has only begun. We have someone's word but we haven't seen the fruition of the statement yet.....so we are in a sense, hanging.

Hello Tim, 

I would never suspect you of disrespect. "Geert" is correct. "Geert ter Horst" is not three names, but two. "Geert" is my first name and "Ter Horst" my family name. Here in Holland we often have family names that are composed of two or three words. To my knowledge it is US custom to put these together into one word, as has happened with many Dutch family names of US immigrants. For example, "Vandenberg" has three words in Dutch and comes from "Van den Berg" (meaning: "from the mountain" if translated). "Ter Horst" means: "at the hillock".

Timothy Smith said:

Hi Geert, 

In your country I am not sure if you address by all three names. If you prefer Geert ter Horst I will be happy to comply and mean no disrespect in using "Geert" as this is the way we usually do this here. Please let me know what you prefer :)

I am very appreciative of your comments. Thank you for taking some of your time to listen. In your first concern, After I listened again I realize why measures 17-24 might not feel in place unless it is somehow re enforced later on. In all honesty it departs from any other norms in using 5ths giving this section an eastern music feel momentarily. I will revisit this and see if I can maybe make a better re enforcement and blend. Maybe I can transition from the 5ths into something that better matches the mood elsewhere.

In your second point, I think this is just a mistake on my part plain and simple. It might work in jazz. Not as well here. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Robert, Glad to see you over here on this side of the tracks! I liked your associations to this from your past. Funny how our brains sometimes tie in connections to other things and remind us.

My best explanation for the title and lack of firm resolution is  the feeling one gets sometimes even after a resolution is made leaving us hanging or maybe the process is a sure thing, but has only begun. We have someone's word but we haven't seen the fruition of the statement yet.....so we are in a sense, hanging.

Thank you Geert for that explanation. Interesting info about your family name. I have seen names here that are as you say. I also know of several with a name that begins with "Van" and completes with another part such as "Van Donk"...that's an actual name here said in two syllables. America is a nation full of varied nationalities so there is no telling the last names you might hear. As it happens I live in an area that is heavily Dutch/German because the Amish and Mennonites migrated here hundreds of years ago. Names like King, Martin, Stoltzfus, Esh, Miller, Beiler, Yoder are common. There are also lots of Irish and Scottish descendants here. That all changes just 60 miles north in the city where there is a larger concentration of Italians, Jews and Asians.Along with this some of the wealthier Indians have established there.These all tend to be more in the city while the Germans and Dutch tend to stay more in the country areas. This would make sense since they are mostly farmers and preferred to be away from what goes on in the city because of their beliefs and simple lifestyle.

Maybe I'll start a thread " What's in a name ?" over on the useless drivel page. One interesting thing about names is they don't tell the whole picture about a person because the mother's maiden name isn't used. I find the Dutch interesting. All of my neighbors here are Pennsylvania Dutch and I have made friends with many of them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service