Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This one's a half ragtime, and half boogie-woogie 1920's-style piano solo.  Some feedback would be great.

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This one is very nice. I liked the boogie woogie style. The walking bass is really moving. It's a mix of so many things. Sounds so Jazzy at some parts. I can tell it is a 1920,s kinda of a style. Very interesting. Did you play this yourself on the piano? 

Alas no, it's too hard for me to play.  This was all sequenced, but I tried to make it sound like a performance, with varied timing/velocity/tempo.

Islam Y.Omari said:

This one is very nice. I liked the boogie woogie style. The walking bass is really moving. It's a mix of so many things. Sounds so Jazzy at some parts. I can tell it is a 1920,s kinda of a style. Very interesting. Did you play this yourself on the piano? 

Well, it's very impressive either way :)

Really nice job with the sequencing, Disco (can we call you that?). I agree it would be a workout for pianists, though it sounds playable enough. Very creative interplay of two competing yet complimentary styles. A thoroughly enjoyable romp through the flashy, frenetic decades of the last century. Very cool!

Thanks Michael,

Ha, you can call me Disco if you want.  I only came up with Disconnectica recently.  Or you can call be Rob.

I used to play the ragtime part, but slower.  I imagine someone could do it justice live.  Any takers? :)

michael diemer said:

Really nice job with the sequencing, Disco (can we call you that?). I agree it would be a workout for pianists, though it sounds playable enough. Very creative interplay of two competing yet complimentary styles. A thoroughly enjoyable romp through the flashy, frenetic decades of the last century. Very cool!

Hi D,

The opening section of ragtime has some interesting chords, it felt to me like more could have been done melodically on top of them, the "3 notes over and over again" melody has kind of been done to death and that aspect did not hold my interest. The boogie-section I felt the opposite on - the right hand was more interesting to me than the left, which just did the same riff over and over again. On that right hand: it seems you are playing out of key here, which felt in some cases like it worked and in other cases I was less sure. It might be interesting to see a score if you have one you could share. Thanks for posting!

Gav

Thanks for the feedback Gav!

I guess by three notes you mean the tonic, 3rd and 5th?  I count 4 notes for that part, but you're right it moves around them a lot.  I like the melody though.  In the middle part, you're right the left hand doesn't vary a lot, but that's normal for the style.  Most of my pieces have something unusual going on, but not so much this one and a couple of other boogie pieces I've done.

I wish I could easily produce a score.  I have for some pieces, but not this one.  I tried taking it into MuscScore which just made a mess of it.

You may find the other piece I posted more interesting (or you may not) - http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/stitches-piano-solo

Gav Brown said:

Hi D,

The opening section of ragtime has some interesting chords, it felt to me like more could have been done melodically on top of them, the "3 notes over and over again" melody has kind of been done to death and that aspect did not hold my interest. The boogie-section I felt the opposite on - the right hand was more interesting to me than the left, which just did the same riff over and over again. On that right hand: it seems you are playing out of key here, which felt in some cases like it worked and in other cases I was less sure. It might be interesting to see a score if you have one you could share. Thanks for posting!

Gav

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sign up info

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service