Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

The main requirements towards producing interesting music in any genre!

We can argue for days, weeks or eternity about, good or bad genre of music. Personal taste seldom alters although taste can and does change with age and experience but imho, there are a couple of things truly critical when creating music as a listening experience regardless of genre.

1. Dynamic range (as wide a variation as possible).
2. Timbre (changing over time).
3. ?

What do you think? Have you listened to performances of others that you 'should' be using as reference when producing your own work?
It's not just about the form and theory as that necessitates the listener imagining the same sound you're hearing in your head. If you start with a score then put every mark in there needed to tell the performer be they human or software application exactly what your intentions are. I really do not enjoy telling anyone their piece sounds crap just to get the reply 'but this is only a rough guide and I hope to have real players use it'. No it isn't because you've published it for the world to listen. It is an example of your lack of skill.

Yes I know, I'm BAD but please give us all your thoughts.

Views: 1634

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brother Bob, after further review I am sorry to have to say it, but it is

not my words, it is your interpretation of my words that has contributed to

making a mountain out of a molehill. (not just you)

How I 'come across' depends on an individuals sense of words, connotations, and

general perspective. The same can be said of every piece of music ever written.

Do you believe that everyone hears the same thing and experiences the exact same

feelings when they listen to something? We are individuals.

Over the years I have lost faith in General Consensus. He has been brain washed

and can no longer stand up to, or with all, the badges he wears. Is that too abstacted?

I'm going to stick to my guns and stand by what I said. Damn the torpedos... full steam ahead.

The real kicker is a real understanding and interpretation of that thing we call "the Golden Rule'.

It has nothing what-so-ever to do with Political Correctness. Is that too abstracted also?  RS

Bob Porter said:

Roger,

You told Erwin to not write for harpsichord because it is a dead instrument. Only later, after someone complained, did you say anything of value. 

Actually you called it a dinosaur. Perhaps we shouldn't write for violin, flute, oboe, and guitar, to name a few instruments that have been around just as long.

I'm glad to hear you have some projects going. Hope you can make some time for them.

I also hope you don't mean to come across the way you do. Words matter. Use them carefully.

You seem to be suggesting everyone else was wrong for being offended by your statement or for finding it ridiculous? As if it's down to interpretation and your words were really that ambiguous. As if even the irritation of Erwin is less valid than you having your little say.

punk, you have the nerve to speak of offensive. You c_nt.

Stop by some time and we'll discuss this face to face.

ps-  my apologies Ray    this thread could be insightful for all

Dave Dexter said:

You seem to be suggesting everyone else was wrong for being offended by your statement or for finding it ridiculous? As if it's down to interpretation and your words were really that ambiguous. As if even the irritation of Erwin is less valid than you having your little say.
You're too thin-skinned. It's YOUR fault for taking offence. Additionally, let's be frank here; you want to fight me? That's what "discuss this face to face" means, right? It kind of confirms your stunted brain but sure, I'd roll the dice on those odds :D

roger stancill said:

punk, you have the nerve to speak of offensive. You c_nt.

Stop by some time and we'll discuss this face to face.

ps-  my apologies Ray    this thread could be insightful for all

Dave Dexter said:

dave, you seem to be blinded by your own bias. Can you think of a more

civil interpretation ? Possibly one that simply excludes the flaws

of internet communication. That is what I was alluding to.

Thanks for confirming my point regarding interpretation.

ps- you may want to refill your bag of trite words of belittlement..

they are a bit dull and stale.

Nah, your guard went down is all. When you bring out the big guns - "punk" and "c_nt" - you're furious, which - however much you'd like to label as my interpretation - propelled you into "let's fight" territory as if you're twelve.

And thin-skinned! Like you said, it's your fault for being offended.

roger stancill said:

dave, you seem to be blinded by your own bias. Can you think of a more

civil interpretation ? Possibly one that simply excludes the flaws

of internet communication. That is what I was alluding to.

Thanks for confirming my point regarding interpretation.

ps- you may want to refill your bag of trite words of belittlement..

they are a bit dull and stale.

I couldn't agree more Boot, well said.

Boot Hamilton said:

1. Dynamic range (as wide a variation as possible).
2. Timbre (changing over time).
3. ? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

An essential element in my book is the critical and delicate balance between expectation and surprise. Too much of either and you've lost both the battle and the listener.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service