Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

The main requirements towards producing interesting music in any genre!

We can argue for days, weeks or eternity about, good or bad genre of music. Personal taste seldom alters although taste can and does change with age and experience but imho, there are a couple of things truly critical when creating music as a listening experience regardless of genre.

1. Dynamic range (as wide a variation as possible).
2. Timbre (changing over time).
3. ?

What do you think? Have you listened to performances of others that you 'should' be using as reference when producing your own work?
It's not just about the form and theory as that necessitates the listener imagining the same sound you're hearing in your head. If you start with a score then put every mark in there needed to tell the performer be they human or software application exactly what your intentions are. I really do not enjoy telling anyone their piece sounds crap just to get the reply 'but this is only a rough guide and I hope to have real players use it'. No it isn't because you've published it for the world to listen. It is an example of your lack of skill.

Yes I know, I'm BAD but please give us all your thoughts.

Views: 1631

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh good.. Now that this is figured out, i propose turning our braincells to the one word hit:  'Dy-o- mite' by JJ Walker.

(also, keeping in mind,  that McDonald's is very successful  - and confuses chef's 'round the world :)

ps… as the great Huey Lewis said - "the heart of R&R is the beat"

But if we're laying money down, i choose this one: "I want Candy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B3xh-FcivI

Or one could go the other direction where a hit song also is able to bring and added level of complexity like- 'Money' PF, a rocker which is in 7/8 time! or Doobie's 'Black Water' - which has almost a fugue of voices in the last round…. or Bowie's 'Station to Station'…   so many...

@ Roger

Bob M.   great contribution and I'd say, well stated.

So much for 'pointless', ay.

If a 'hook' is that which grabs your attention regarding any piece of music,

then of course there could be many hooks... depending on the ear and

general interests of a listener. It would be difficult to determine which hook

tho' 'caught' and reeled in the most people comprising it's popularity.

IMO it was the scandal. RS

Thank you-and I agree there could be more than one hook, but in my experience theres usually one main one which trumps all others-the part which we all wait excitedly to hear, and keeps rolling around in our mind. In this case, the scandal did certainly bring many to listen to the piece. but I feel once there the music had to have something to keep them all there.

--------
@Ray. Thank you.
Thank you for posting a concise explanation for a pop tune's success. I regard these reasons as being so basic, no one should ever need them explained but.............I shouldn't forget all these years I've taken them for granted.
I don't like the works you produce but I would never underestimate your general music knowledge.
 -------

@ Dave--thanks.
 good list btw Bob.

chuckle chuckle snort snort  greg-o

ps - Alexander was great,  as is that big wall in China  lol

Huey, eh - good as a mod rocker,  but he can't beat them.

pss- dave, it's not about you,  come on now, focus on the topic

gregorio X said:

Oh good.. Now that this is figured out, i propose turning our braincells to the one word hit:  'Dy-o- mite' by JJ Walker.

(also, keeping in mind,  that McDonald's is very successful  - and confuses chef's 'round the world :)

The topic at hand is "Roger can't parse basic information" and it's been going on for . . . I'd judge 60-70 years?

roger stancill said:

gregorio X said:

dave, that's probably because I was fed parsnips as a baby. Get it ? parse-snips :>}

As I was growing up I realized that no matter how hard I tried, I just

couldn't be perfect... so, I've pretty much given up on that quest. All I can

really do is try to do my best.

When are you going to grow up and realize that you aren't perfect either?

Drop the power play and spare us all the drama of your egotistical challenges.

Dave Dexter said:

The topic at hand is "Roger can't parse basic information" and it's been going on for . . . I'd judge 60-70 years?

roger stancill said:

gregorio X said:

Beside the point, but the lyric is, the heart of rock and roll is still beating.

I think that while we each need to figure out for ourselves what we think we need to do to produce interesting music, there's more to it than that. Unless that music somehow strikes a chord with a lot of listeners (if that's what we are after), nothing will come of it. 

On a related note, a very interesting book of the popular hits of the last hundred years is "How the Beatles destroyed R&R"

Yes, the title is incendiary.. (marketing)…  but he tries to make an interesting point - 

Gregorio, I don't have the time to read the book. Can you give us the

Reader's Digest version or tell us the point?

gregorio X said:

On a related note, a very interesting book of the popular hits of the last hundred years is "How the Beatles destroyed R&R"

Yes, the title is incendiary.. (marketing)…  but he tries to make an interesting point - 

Hi Gregorio.

Please give a link if you have, although I don’t believe the title for a moment… perhaps it should have been "How R & R could not follow, or could not be the same after Beatles".

To destroy a think is to kill its spirit, and though some very mediocre pop musicians of the 70s & 80s are a bit responsible, the main culprits (as always are politicians and the societies who vote for them) in the USA Reagan and in the UK Thatcher killed Rock n' Roll, imo, that is.

gregorio X said:

"Can you give us the

Reader's Digest version or tell us the point?"

Basically it maps the diversity and influence of culture/ethnicity within many of the popular bands -- Starting  with (of all people) Sousa's 'dixieland Jazz band' (or some such name) ..around 1904 to 1906..  This 'mix' was very common, evidently, and he posits this made music very colorful… this gradually began to change when R&R simplified (the rhythm, and chords…) and broke away (generally)  - and became much more insular… so he says..

It was interesting for me to listen to the pieces mentioned as i read the book by Elijah Wald..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service