Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

The main requirements towards producing interesting music in any genre!

We can argue for days, weeks or eternity about, good or bad genre of music. Personal taste seldom alters although taste can and does change with age and experience but imho, there are a couple of things truly critical when creating music as a listening experience regardless of genre.

1. Dynamic range (as wide a variation as possible).
2. Timbre (changing over time).
3. ?

What do you think? Have you listened to performances of others that you 'should' be using as reference when producing your own work?
It's not just about the form and theory as that necessitates the listener imagining the same sound you're hearing in your head. If you start with a score then put every mark in there needed to tell the performer be they human or software application exactly what your intentions are. I really do not enjoy telling anyone their piece sounds crap just to get the reply 'but this is only a rough guide and I hope to have real players use it'. No it isn't because you've published it for the world to listen. It is an example of your lack of skill.

Yes I know, I'm BAD but please give us all your thoughts.

Views: 1583

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It  appears that your are talking mostly about performance. This is a Composers' forum.  Although the 'dynamic range' and timber (changing over time) could be notated In the Score, but it may take some imagination.. I know you can,  but probably it will take some skill.

What does a composer do if not write for performance? Are you saying, any note you wish played whether pitched or not needs no other input?

Of course, most of us do. The difference is similar to reading a play, and seeing it performed on stage.  If i am a writer, it is presumed i have the possibility of gleaning the message from another without the formality of performance.  For some, it would necessitate having the funds to have it realized - for it to be performed.  But yes, that would be ideal, but not necessary in a forum  such as this… (or, to my mind , even expected).  

If you only want to hear finished product, i'm not certain why you would expect a lot of that here.

It seems to me, many of the works offered here are works in progress, (and performance being the later part of that process) and composers are much of the time looking for feedback about their Composition, in particular.

Whoever you are, you either don't or don't want to understand what I'm talking about. My one overriding assumption is that in the main, composer are musicians. Perhaps I'm mistaken here in CF where any stray can gain membership with no questions asked.

Any stray? My opinion ^  is one  musician's point of view.   

Understand?  What's not to get?.. I am disagreeing with your premise that - it is only 'music' to a musician, when the piece is fully realized, and if not, it should not be posted here.

All Ray is saying is that if someone is going to post something, put some thought into it. As composers today, we get to have a say in the process from beginning to end. There is more to a song or symphony than the notes on the page, or piano roll. Regardless of what happens to our music 20 years from now, we have an opportunity to post how we think the music should sound. We should make the post as pleasant to listen to as possible. Not, "Here's something I slapped together. What do you think?" I don't know what to think because you may not have given me much to go on. Individuals may have the vision, but they need to find a way to best convey it. Know your software.

That said, not all of us have the best stuff. I don't. But even if you use a free software and sounds, it is possible to produce music that is good enough. But you have to do some digging and learn how to use what you find. Care enough about those of us who are trying to listen, to give your music the best shot you have. 

Very reasonable, both Bob and Gregorio. Make the best of what you have is a good approach, as most of us will never have the doh to hire a professional orchestras to realize our megnificent concepts or magnificent rubbish, whichever the case may be.

Very well said Gregorio:)

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

gregorio X said:

Of course, most of us do. The difference is similar to reading a play, and seeing it performed on stage.  If i am a writer, it is presumed i have the possibility of gleaning the message from another without the formality of performance.  For some, it would necessitate having the funds to have it realized - for it to be performed.  But yes, that would be ideal, but not necessary in a forum  such as this… (or, to my mind , even expected).  

If you only want to hear finished product, i'm not certain why you would expect a lot of that here.

It seems to me, many of the works offered here are works in progress, (and performance being the later part of that process) and composers are much of the time looking for feedback about their Composition, in particular.

For me, the play analogy breaks down because I am unable to tell much by trying to read a score. A weakness on my part?

I do know folks who can tell much by looking at a score. 

Bob, the dissenting posts here choose to ignore my point on writing for performance by citing prohibitive costs involved in creating finalised recordings. It has nothing to do with finalised recording or employing musicians. IMO a necessary skill for any composer is that of things as simple as knowing a piano makes a different sound depending on how you press a key. It just isn't good enough to produce a piece where all the notes are struck at the same velocity. Even low brow pop and rock musicians know the value of light and shade.

I am actually one who does perform.  And i am still dissenting.  Do you play Ray? Anything as of late?

" It just isn't good enough to produce a piece where all the notes are struck at the same velocity."

Which I don't do, if your even bothered to inform your opinion.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service