Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I reuploaded this as the former version was too long

This is 2:12 now 

The night I started to compose this some mosquitos were giving me a hard time and I decided to name this "The falling mosquito" out of spite :D. Then I added saxophone SFX to mimic the sound of a mosquito. Please let me know if there's anything I can improve on. Thanks

The Pink Panther Cartoons and games have affected me to compose this I guess.

https://soundcloud.com/m_masoomi/the-falling-mosquito-2-mins-ver

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great, 8Rivers,

A most moody piece....the sort of thing that would relax me in a bar late at night.

I liked the brooding tenor/baritone sax (couldn't work out which it was!)

The only problem I had - I needed to equalise the bass down a touch. The sustained notes tended to counterpoint with the sax in that low register. Also perhaps a little more dynamic variation on the sax, a sharper attack here and there.

But overall it's a very pleasant relaxing piece..... so, mosquitoes or not, they inspired you to write something pretty engaging.. Perhaps the work could be extended by handing a solo over to a clarinet or alto?

Best wishes,

Dane.

Thanks for the time you took to listen and leave these comments Dane,

I tried the idea of alto instead of tenor but since the tempo and the melody are so chill and slow and also the volume of air is lowest possible , after using alto, the song began to show some sort of romantic color which was the furthest thing from the picture I was trying to show you see I had a comic picture in mind, maybe I'll add a faster follow up in which I'll use alto sax with full force to see things in the poor guys point of view and feel his frustration.

the bass is adequate if used with headphones but with speakers it would sound a bit much as you have pointed out, I'm using Eris 5 monitors and an ATH m50x headphone and I trust my headphones more since I'm applying the proprietary Reference 4 VST preset to balance it but my speakers are totally prone to mistake since there's no acoustic treatment in my studio just yet and they don't produce much bass. but I agree that lowering the bass is usually the safest bet is not sure.

The dynamic variation is was an excellent point and one I had paid a little attention to ... the problem is I had set the sax note volume setting to lowest posiible to trigger the intimate and chill samples which is harder to add variation to but I added some dynamics and used the humanize feature of the sax VST which I had no Idea existed before trying it. so thanks a lot. I uploaded the newer version. Thanks
Dane Aubrun said:

Great, 8Rivers,

A most moody piece....the sort of thing that would relax me in a bar late at night.

I liked the brooding tenor/baritone sax (couldn't work out which it was!)

The only problem I had - I needed to equalise the bass down a touch. The sustained notes tended to counterpoint with the sax in that low register. Also perhaps a little more dynamic variation on the sax, a sharper attack here and there.

But overall it's a very pleasant relaxing piece..... so, mosquitoes or not, they inspired you to write something pretty engaging.. Perhaps the work could be extended by handing a solo over to a clarinet or alto?

Best wishes,

Dane.

"the bass is adequate if used with headphones but with speakers it would sound a bit much as you have pointed out,"

Hi again,

I use either my Beyerdynamic 990 phones or the AKG712s. On occasion I swap to relisten to a piece. I ruled out speakers more because of the room though I built the speakers using KEF units. They can just about reach down to c 16Hz but with some cutoff, so my microphone tells me! but that too is limited in its lower frequency reach. Probably various distortions creeping in. They thunder away all the same!

No matter, it was a cool work. Had it been longer I might just have rolled up a jolly old J !!

Thanks Dane I appreciate it. Sorry about all the mistakes in my previous reply. I think the 15 mins window to edit replies is too small...maybe a few hours would be better instead. I didn't understand that last sentence ,what or who is a jolly old J?

Dane Aubrun said:

"the bass is adequate if used with headphones but with speakers it would sound a bit much as you have pointed out,"

Hi again,

I use either my Beyerdynamic 990 phones or the AKG712s. On occasion I swap to relisten to a piece. I ruled out speakers more because of the room though I built the speakers using KEF units. They can just about reach down to c 16Hz but with some cutoff, so my microphone tells me! but that too is limited in its lower frequency reach. Probably various distortions creeping in. They thunder away all the same!

No matter, it was a cool work. Had it been longer I might just have rolled up a jolly old J !!

Good stuff 8Rivers, I like this a lot. We don't get a lot of jazz here so you are a welcome addition. I like the sax all the way through and the other horns blend very nicely as well. Well written and phrased, what samples are those?

The bass fits but I think it could be more effective if it had some variation to it, just a little change here and there would help IMO. You might try a different bass patch also, that one doesn't have a lot of character or detail to it. The bass level could come down but that didn't really bother me where it's at now.

Good work!

Hello Ingo Lee   I have to say it's my first ever jazz piece, I  have always loved jazz but I had not dared venture there since it seems to a out of reach for sample munchers such as yours truly.

So Thanks for your kind words, I appreciated it.

For the first time I have used two plugins at the same time to play a solo instrument using panning. the samples for trombones are Berlin Brass solo trombone + Mojo horn section CL Trombone one panned 40% to right the other panned 20% to the left.

I know the bass might be much, but the thing is that bass is the most subjective part of EQ IMO and that's why just gave up on listening to people and started to trust my Reference 4 VST to equalize it :) the bass is Ilya Efimov fretless + classical which is the only good bass in my library so if you can suggest a better one I'd be happy to give it a test drive :D

Ingo Lee said:

Good stuff 8Rivers, I like this a lot. We don't get a lot of jazz here so you are a welcome addition. I like the sax all the way through and the other horns blend very nicely as well. Well written and phrased, what samples are those?

The bass fits but I think it could be more effective if it had some variation to it, just a little change here and there would help IMO. You might try a different bass patch also, that one doesn't have a lot of character or detail to it. The bass level could come down but that didn't really bother me where it's at now.

Good work!

This is really cool! Love how you took something like a mosquito and made this from it. Since you mentioned it, I did detect some Pink Panther in there. 

This was a most pleasant listen. 

Hi 8Rivers - Two basses I admire are this one from Vienna Symphonic Library:

https://www.vsl.co.at/de/Plucked_Instruments/Upright_Bass#!Demos

which is a jazz bass. They also have an orchestral bass as part of their solo strings package.

Spectrasonics Trilian is good for having many different sounds and styles:

https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/trilian-audio.php

Hello Timothy

Thanks for the nice compliments

yes Tom & jerry and Pink Panther were my favorites as a child so it's only natural I guess to be affected by them.

Timothy Smith said:

This is really cool! Love how you took something like a mosquito and made this from it. Since you mentioned it, I did detect some Pink Panther in there. 

This was a most pleasant listen. 

It is a lovely piece. So soft, melodic and melancholic. Each instrument has its role here, I can't help favoring the bass though. It is mesmerizing. 

Well done.

Kjell

Yo Kjell

Thanks, always good to hear compliments from a another composer.

Kjell Prytz said:

It is a lovely piece. So soft, melodic and melancholic. Each instrument has its role here, I can't help favoring the bass though. It is mesmerizing. 

Well done.

Kjell

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service