Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I did not get a chance to enter the last contest because I was visiting the Philippines, but I wanted to go ahead and share anyways. Thanks for listening. It’s for fixed electronic media. 

https://soundcloud.com/rodney-money-1/music-box-cue

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fascinating! Love everything about it! Strange mood and atmosphere and then the end was like huh? Great stuff!

Hi Rodney,

A great piece. Enchanting!

Gav

It does feel both yin and yang, although more yin than yang, but that's my way of listenig to it (I may have for yang a fiery feel rsrsrs). I liked it a lot!

Nice and sweet.

I wonder, where do you think the idea for the form comes from? It sort of feels like it's wrapped up two thirds in, and then there's an after image or an echo. I remember Meditation used something similar.

I finished my trumpet concerto for a university back in May and unfortunately both this little "sound clip" and "Meditation" were both throw away experiments from that much larger work. A part of Mediation is used in the 2nd movement, I believe, in the trumpet concerto but you would not recognize it in the way that you remembered. However, I did get to use Meditation to win another commission for a tenor sax feature that maybe I can start in January. We shall see.

In the concerto, I was working on a part in the finale where the soloist has to decide between depression or hope. The final version that I used was simply the beginning but a faster bpm fading off before the trumpet comes in offstage. This version that you hear here was simply a 1 day experiment with this form in my head: the melody played lighter, then darker with a little distortion, and finally when the strings and low brass come in, the person is trying to decide between the light or the dark which lives in all of us.         

Greg Brus said:

Nice and sweet.

I wonder, where do you think the idea for the form comes from? It sort of feels like it's wrapped up two thirds in, and then there's an after image or an echo. I remember Meditation used something similar.

Hey Rod, great piece. I liked the last part best, the low sounds just washed through me and really got my subwoofer humming. but all of it was quite imaginative. I think if you had submitted this, you might have won the contest.

Thank you Michael for your reply on my little experiment. I don't deserve your words, but I do appreciate them. The last part was fun to mix adding experimental string sounds called scary strings from Spitfire and adding warm low brass creating euphonium and tuba ensembles then using Cinesamples's Monster Low Brass for the crescendo. The low sub that you heard was Spitfire's free lab patch: epic piano pads. Thank you again for listening and commenting.  

michael diemer said:

Hey Rod, great piece. I liked the last part best, the low sounds just washed through me and really got my subwoofer humming. but all of it was quite imaginative. I think if you had submitted this, you might have won the contest.

Rodney. I just loved this piece. It was absolutely enchanting, interesting, quirky and mood evoking all together. It very much left me wanting more at the end. Do you intend to develop it further? I feel very inspired to try something "different" myself.

I so appreciate that Neil, I really do. Thank you so much for your comments. They made my day. I finished a 40 minute trumpet concerto with 7 movements that was chock full of this stuff, and basically this was some of the leftovers that simply did not quite fit. I am currently working on an orchestral piece with organ right now for a client and the chords that you hear at the end are finding their way in that work also. I have so many composer friends who are against DAWS and samples, but I have found that they are missing out on an entire inspirational world with a door that they have not opened yet. So go experiment, for you never know what new sounds and stories you might discover within yourself. 

Neil Wighton said:

Rodney. I just loved this piece. It was absolutely enchanting, interesting, quirky and mood evoking all together. It very much left me wanting more at the end. Do you intend to develop it further? I feel very inspired to try something "different" myself.

Thank you so much for listening and commenting, Claude! 

Claude Werner said:

Fascinating! Love everything about it! Strange mood and atmosphere and then the end was like huh? Great stuff!

Appreciate it, Gav. Sorry I could not get it done in time for the contest. 

Gav Brown said:

Hi Rodney,

A great piece. Enchanting!

Gav

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service