Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Here is my new piece, a Piano Chamberto (Chamber concerto), for Piano, Oboe, Clarinet, Horn and Bassoon. This has been a long project, my most ambitious piece to-date in terms of complexity - I'm really glad to have finished it at last! 
The goal was to use a format similar to Classical-era Piano concertos, but with a reduced set of instruments.
Please let me know what you think!
Dan

Views: 127

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I lose breath from this super classical tune in such a high tempo. It is lovely and reminds me of Mozart at his best.

Brilliantly composed and good treatment of the instrument. It is a good choice to have a modest piano since it assimilates excellently with the wind instruments. I appreciate the equal distribution between the voices.

Well done, Dan.

Kjell

That’s brilliant, Dan.
May ask you more about your rendering tools?

Thanks both, really glad you enjoyed it! 

I use Sibelius and Noteperformer, works surprisingly well with no configuration required (beyond detailed scoring!)

Fabio Biolcati said:

That’s brilliant, Dan.
May ask you more about your rendering tools?

Although I found this music genre has very little to say nowadays, I'm actually astonished by your composing skills.

So many elegant modulations, perfectly designed and functional.

I wish I had your music knowledge.

Great work!

Hi Gabriele, 

Thanks for your kind words. What would you suggest as a good next challenge for me, bearing in my my current style ? I've started to write scores to accompany free nature footage (first attempt here https://youtu.be/3M93cCiUA0A), is that a good route to take do you think?

Gabriele said:

Although I found this music genre has very little to say nowadays, I'm actually astonished by your composing skills.

Great work!

Wow, that is for sure another great work. Love the idea! I feel your music, so positive (although this is not the right time for using this term, maybe :D), relaxing would perfectly fit movie soundtracks as well.

Sassyfrood said:

Hi Gabriele, 

Thanks for your kind words. What would you suggest as a good next challenge for me, bearing in my my current style ? I've started to write scores to accompany free nature footage (first attempt here https://youtu.be/3M93cCiUA0A), is that a good route to take do you think?

Gabriele said:

Great work!

I echo Gabriele's reaction, Dan. This is simply a stunning re-creation of a classical style, with some modulations and turns of phrase that Mozart might not have conceived of, brilliantly worked out and scored.

I see you use Sibelius and NotePerformer. Did you have to do any editing to get a workable realization of your piece? By "workable" I mean without timing errors that sound like failures of ensemble playing. I'm using that combination too for my String Quartet, and in legato passages the four instruments are frequently out of sync with each other. To stitch together a listenable rendering of my piece required hours and hours of editing with Audacity. Arne of Wallander Instruments has confirmed the problem so it's not my imagination, yet what you've posted sounds absolutely free of this issue.

Hi liz, thanks, and glad you liked it! 

So, yes, I have noticed less than ideal behaviour with slurred passages, but I think I noticed that more on the strings to the woodwinds. Try exporting your piece with woodwind instruments instead? 

Liz Atems said:

I echo Gabriele's reaction, Dan. This is simply a stunning re-creation of a classical style, with some modulations and turns of phrase that Mozart might not have conceived of, brilliantly worked out and scored.

I see you use Sibelius and NotePerformer. Did you have to do any editing to get a workable realization of your piece? By "workable" I mean without timing errors that sound like failures of ensemble playing. I'm using that combination too for my String Quartet, and in legato passages the four instruments are frequently out of sync with each other. To stitch together a listenable rendering of my piece required hours and hours of editing with Audacity. Arne of Wallander Instruments has confirmed the problem so it's not my imagination, yet what you've posted sounds absolutely free of this issue.

Hi Dan,

Yes, the way Arne explained it, it is because the NotePerformer AI algorithms create random timing shifts for instruments that normally play en masse such as strings. Wind and brass players aren't massed together even in an orchestra, typically only two or three of each instrument, so timing errors would be more conspicuous. I told Arne that I felt it was a serious deficiency to have chamber strings rendered with the same timing shifts as orchestral strings and he agreed, but couldn't promise when they would have the problem fixed.

Unfortunately I was working on a demo rendering of my piece, so porting it to winds wouldn't be an acceptable solution. It's definitely conceived for strings - see my thread "String Quartet in A Minor"* - and a port wouldn't make much sense.

Liz

*Scroll to the last page for a link to the NotePerformer rendering. MOST of the timing errors have been edited out, but there are still a couple of minor glitches left.

That's not ideal! Does it perform differently when you use solo string instruments instead of the ensemble groups? That said, with NP I found I liked solo violin trills much better without the trill

Liz Atems said:

Unfortunately I was working on a demo rendering of my piece, so porting it to winds wouldn't be an acceptable solution. It's definitely conceived for strings and a port wouldn't make much sense.

Liz

Well, if an instrument was truly solo then there would be no issue of ensemble errors, right? The timing errors are minute, you wouldn't notice them in a solo instrument as being out of rhythm. But in a small ensemble like four strings, it sounds truly horrible, like an impromptu group just reading through the piece for the first time. Then again, maybe I don't understand what you're trying to say.

If you mean a chamber group vs. an orchestra, then according to Arne, it does NOT perform differently - that's the whole problem. With massed strings everyone comes in at a slightly different time and that's part of the desired effect. But to apply the same timing algorithms to strings in a chamber group like a quartet is so WRONG I can't believe they designed their software that way.

Sorry, I didn't understand "liked solo violin trills much better without the trill"... ??

This piece takes my breath - so much beauty and vitality! Very enjoyable - Thank you!

Gerd

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service