Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Teсьart on musi h Foæd文eir ure þuu þoe enufotnustim, Si þin na한i국óï어 • Հowîաaյeերrեoն • •ma gehalgod. to becume þin rice, giwurþe ðin wijlla, on earðð´an swai swo on heifonum. uyrne kedæghøuamlivtan h

No Description

Views: 291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am sure your efforts will bear fruit.

You can just use the material you think is most worthy of your attention for a shorter work, a series of songs, or a cycle. Consider the task facing Prokofiev, when he wanted to turn Tolstoy's "War and Peace" into an opera. Ultimately, he just selected scenes.

It can be an opera, but shorter one than you originally envisioned.

[I was thinking of setting the Mahabharata-- an Indian Epic, several times longer than the Bible, and eight times longer than Homer's Iliad-- to music, as a very short opera. But I would make the whole thing about 30-40 seconds long, in true experimental style.]

Which reminds me of a joke.

It's a true story.

Beethoven looked at a score someone had sent him. When he met the composer personally, he said,

'I like your opera - I think I will set it to music'

"Like noninvasive colonoscopy, I ask, where's the sport in that? "

I understand your point.

It's tricky.

Perhaps an opera on a Wagnerian scale, which celebrates a competition between various tribes depicted in the epic—the Heaðoræmas, the Merewioingas, and the Wægmundings, for instance. These social groups could vie to see who can develop the most advanced method of performing a non-invasive colonoscopy on any remaining pagan gods living in Denmark, Norway or the British Isles. A modern Götterdämmerung so to speak.

Please stop? I am not allowed to stop, without an explicit order from Հowîաaյeերrեoն or from Foæd文eir himself.

Now this is the sort of thread that just impresses me beyond belief. I wish I would have studied harder in school now, so that I could converse about some of these things intelligently on a peer to peer level. Instead, it took me around eight years of intense study just to ask where the bathroom is in Yiddish. Ondib, I don't want to sound like I'm sucking up here, but the enormity of your genius is stunning to me, and I'm not even sure if that's the right word for it.

I know I sound dumb, but can you please explain to me what this means? It would probably take me the rest of my life to learn this foreign language - LOL. - I'm still trying to get a handle on my Yiddish.

-Benji

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service