Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

If you follow classical music news like I do you would have seen some very troubling headlines.

Osmo Vänskä's departure shakes Minnesota Orchestra

If you are not familiar with the on going issues the Minnesota Orchestra has had with their Board of Directors you should definitely look it up to fully understand how it got to where they are now

New York City Opera Shuts Its Doors

CANCELLED: Carnegie Hall Live: Opening Night Gala With The Philadel...

Without An Angel Donor, The Detroit Symphony Orchestra Could Go Dark

keep in mind this orchestra is currently accepting scores for a new competition. 

Many blame changing audience taste, crazy new music, MTV culture, shorten attentions spans, snobbishness of symphony goes, and high ticket prices for the decline in audience sizes at the symphony. All legit reasons but their seems to be a bigger problem at hand, a problem from within many failing orchestras, opera companies, and professional performing ensembles. While each situation is different, an underline theme that I see throughout each of these performing groups is some kind of mismanagement. It appears that many orchestras have yet to keep up with the times and run their business as they did 100 years ago. So what can be done?

What do you think is the main issue for these failing performance ensembles? What do you think needs to be changed?

Views: 3668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So you're a logical positivist? That could explain much concerning what goes on in that irreverant head of yours.

Fredrick zinos said:

Truth be told, I don't see any real distinction between fact and friction.

Great! but I think "Illogical Negativism" more aptly describes Fred's thought process.

Kristofer P.D.Q. Emerig said:

Neil: dating a logical positivist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtckVng_1a0

Sorry to post this again, but you forced my hand.

michael diemer said:

So you're a logical positivist? That could explain much concerning what goes on in that irreverant head of yours.

Fredrick zinos said:

Truth be told, I don't see any real distinction between fact and friction.

If you're addressing me, I currently have excruciating back pain and an intenstinal virus, so that is the best I can do.

People have their own interpretations of history.

It was amusing to hear Negroponte on C-Span the other day, trying to explain that the US invasion of Iraq in 2003 had NOTHING to do with oil.

I hope this will all be explored musically, in a soon-to-be-premiered oratorio, entitled, "Bush Dodges a Shoe," assuming it does not get cancelled by the Met.

Actually, I just remembered, there actually is a song cycle, based on Rumsfeld's public statements about the war.

The title is, "There are known unknowns."

The composer sets these words to music:

"Yes, we know: There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know: there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. ..."
You can hear a bit of it here:

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t865598/

Scroll down to message number 5, for the audio-visual.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service