Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Greetings,

this piece is an attempt to write a short symphony. It consists of three episodes: expansion, turning point and inversion.

After a soft intro, my intention is to achieve a sort of exploding event. I try to emphasize the bass register all through. Also, for my first time I elaborate on the interplay between 1st and 2nd violin.

I have added a rather intensive harp. I am unsure if this part is playable.

The ending is rather sudden and short. It is meant to illustrate that after that moment there is nothing, not even nothing.

Maybe it is too long for most members but if you manage to listen to the first episode I am happy as well.

https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/lambdacdm

Thanks,

Kjell

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good work. An interesting listen although it seems to grind along in the same tonality for much of the time. Just a personal view - that if you want to create an explosive event you need more lull before the storm, so to speak. The ending sounded fine.

Not sure about the harp part. As it's a diatonic work it should be playable even if it gives the harpist aching wrists. LOL. I assume you're familiar with harp writing - a diatonic instrument. Mentioning this because there are a couple of chromatic passing notes which may need a pedal change so check the immediately surrounding passages to be sure they can be done. I may be wrong....

Also, emphasising the bass is fine but sometimes its absence draws particular attention to it when you need it.

Can I ask if you composed this straight into full score or did you start with a short score?

Anyway, all good and congratulations on putting together a work of this size.

Cheers, Dane.

I enjoyed the listen Kjell. Very creative work here. Great use of foundation ideas you had. The ability to envision and deliver the idea is clearly something you are quite good at!

Thank you Dane for your advice and generous words.

I do consider to replace the harp with a guitar, it gives a more modern touch but is not as soft.

When I compose I have developed the themes only, mostly from piano, and introduces these in the score. When playing back, new ideas arise, which are introduced in the score. Sort of interacting composing.

Thanks again,

Kjell

Dane Aubrun said:

Good work. An interesting listen although it seems to grind along in the same tonality for much of the time. Just a personal view - that if you want to create an explosive event you need more lull before the storm, so to speak. The ending sounded fine.

Not sure about the harp part. As it's a diatonic work it should be playable even if it gives the harpist aching wrists. LOL. I assume you're familiar with harp writing - a diatonic instrument. Mentioning this because there are a couple of chromatic passing notes which may need a pedal change so check the immediately surrounding passages to be sure they can be done. I may be wrong....

Also, emphasising the bass is fine but sometimes its absence draws particular attention to it when you need it.

Can I ask if you composed this straight into full score or did you start with a short score?

Anyway, all good and congratulations on putting together a work of this size.

Cheers, Dane.

Thank you Tim, much appreciated reply.

Kjell

Timothy Smith said:

I enjoyed the listen Kjell. Very creative work here. Great use of foundation ideas you had. The ability to envision and deliver the idea is clearly something you are quite good at!

Very nice Kjell, beautiful sounds and I think the length is fine because you have enough variation and thematic material to make it work.  I would like to hear more orchestration (horns, woodwinds) but lacking that is not a problem per se.  I like your use of harp, I have no idea of the play-ability but I don't think guitar would be as effective, but you may be able to make it work.

Dane makes a good point about about the tonality, I heard it as having a lot of recurring mid-register string sounds that could be varied with some modulation, textural variation or like I said, some different instruments mixed in. But this is a minor quibble really, you have taken a difficult form and executed it very well, thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much Ingo. I appreciate your comment which adds to my learning. I tried to replace some string triplets with flute. But the flute-player needs to breathe so I couldn't get it working. Wind instruments are hard because of the breathing aspects. In my next work I am doing a flute practice...trying to include breathing in the melody... it is interesting.

Cheers,

Kjell

Ingo Lee said:

Very nice Kjell, beautiful sounds and I think the length is fine because you have enough variation and thematic material to make it work.  I would like to hear more orchestration (horns, woodwinds) but lacking that is not a problem per se.  I like your use of harp, I have no idea of the play-ability but I don't think guitar would be as effective, but you may be able to make it work.

Dane makes a good point about about the tonality, I heard it as having a lot of recurring mid-register string sounds that could be varied with some modulation, textural variation or like I said, some different instruments mixed in. But this is a minor quibble really, you have taken a difficult form and executed it very well, thanks for sharing!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sign up info

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service