Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello all - contestants were asked to submit a work of no more than about 90 seconds duration to this contest. There were no other limits. 19 members of the Composers' Forum submitted entries! Now we ask all members of the forum to vote on which ones you think are the three best. Although there are a lot of entries, it will only take you about 25 minutes to listen to them all, so please listen and vote! The last day to vote is Monday March 18 at midnight EST. After voting has completed, I will announce the winners on this thread and identify the composers. This thread will then be open for discussion if there is interest.

Here is the link to the survey where you can vote: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YQW3G2H

GO!

Attached also is a worksheet created by Janet Spangenberg, which has the names of the compositions, the comments by each composer, and room to comment as you listen to each piece.

Views: 3090

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh that is so funny, Saul.  I wonder which piece it was ...  I would love to know!   I wouldn't even tell you if you were right or wrong but I'm dying of curiosity!!!   I personally didn't experience any "screamers" - maybe I don't know people's styles well enough, and I don't know who the 19 people were.  But it's a great contest and wonderful energy.   Which piece was 91 seconds, Ray, and even worse, the unthinkable 92 seconds?   I have to say I was too immersed in the music to even notice the length!   I did notice that some were shorter, but that was about it  ...

Saul Dzorelashvili said:

Julie, I don't know if you participated, but one piece there just yelled " I was composed by Julie" ! lol

Hey Saul, I'm new to this site, but I thought it obvious  too...

does'nt everyone?  I'm pretty sure I know which piece is yours too...

-everybody has a signature/style and  
approach to their creative efforts      we will see
Saul Dzorelashvili said:

Wait a minute you know Julie ?

Oops, my mistake   I meant to say I'm the 'gnu' at this site  lol

Saul Dzorelashvili said:

What then do you mean by new?

Saul, somehow I GNU you were going to say that...

I'm also pretty sure I heard Julie in there. I'm almost certain I discovered Saul's piece, I have a propable suspect for Ray's, and a long shot for janet's. I'm still trying to figure out which one is Greg.

16 votes so far. I can see a trend emerging - there are three pieces in particular voters seem to like, they are getting lots of votes for first, second, or third place. We'll see if this trend continues. I challenge the membership of this site: let's make this the most successful contest ever! Shooting for 100 votes. If you've voted and have friends on this site, consider poking at them to participate -

...Or post your request to your friends on this thread...

I have listened to them all and will do so again. However, I'm struggling with devising a set of criteria with which to make a judgement.

Some pieces are not conceived as 'written' or notated music and therefore a score is pretty redundant. Others are more traditionally conceived but suffer from a less than pleasant audio rendition and are thereby disadvantaged.

It's a little like a talent show where you have to compare a juggler with a male voice choir!

Still, I'll make a choice somehow and I congratulate Gav on a well run show and all the contestants for their efforts.

Michael - you might be overthinking it - follow your gut -

Michael, I had the same thoughts. This is what I did (in case it's useful)...

For those pieces where a score is meaningless (as I figured we were listening to the final product, as opposed to the work ever being played by live musicians), I gave a lot of weight to the production. For those pieces that obviously were meant for live musicians, I "heard through" the less than pleasant audio, and imagined it being performed as intended. If the score was missing the dynamics that aid in the shape and emotion a player needs, this was reason to not give it one of my three spots (since not adding dynamics is like not adding any punctuation to this paragraph, and therefore incomplete). Like Julie said in an earlier post, I tried to see what the composer intended, and viewed each piece individually.

And then I followed my gut.

Haha .... we all thought you were serious, and therefore we were politely ignoring you.   One does not like to encourage those who are on the edge, in case a casual remark might push them over.    Chuckle.

Soooo ... you couldn't vote for anyone, eh?   Gav, please ban Ray from future contests.   Also, Ray, please limit any remarks to exactly 90 seconds. And last, but hardly least, did your piece have a score attached???????????????  You can't really answer that one yet, since it will narrow down the field for all of us who are doing the match game.  But we shall see, shalln't we?

Raymond Kemp said:

So disappointing..............nobody taking the bait.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service