Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello,

I want to start composing my own Baroque music after Vivaldi. Unfortunately I don't know a lot of Music theory - especially chord progressions. I don't even know what A7 stands for in the key of C major. I need a book that focuses on Baroque counterpoint/harmony etc. Any suggestions? Not too simple - I have grade 5 music theory ABRSM but my knowledge stops there.

I like to fiddle around on Sibelius. Here's something quick I came up with - I feel so limited and frustrated that my ideas can't come to full fruition. I have an idea then it must be simplified because of my poor knowledge of chord progressions. I won't compose a piece simply by trial and error anymore.

I want to get the level of some of the early Vivaldi Concerti for Strings - La Stravaganza/Armonico etc is way beyond me. I believe if I have the basics in functional harmony then I can compose credible Vivaldi string concertos (his more 'simpler' works at least).

Here's a 5 minute fiddle around on Sibelius using my own ideas to give you an idea where I'm coming from. The piece begins in C major then I attempt to modulate but it all goes to pot! Hence my need for a good musical foundation to base my ideas on.

There are so many books on the market - some probably better than others. Suggestions please!

Many thanks.

Views: 770

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have sanctified my initial effort by adding an organ. This piece shall reside in the council and dominion of God - a kind of sacrament if you like, no? 

I believe there are no faults in this attempt thus far, correct?

Attachments:

Attachments:

Fear not for I am no unjust usurper. Perhaps you could put your extensive knowledge to good purpose by opening the file and providing some critique where you see fit.

Kristofer Emerig said:

Sadly, I almost want to listen out of morbid curiousity.

Has anyone present assessed the risk of malicious viral code as relates to .sib files?

No offense intended Vivaldi, but the erratic behavior, combined with the degenerate, pseudo-Victorian abuse of English has me a bit jittery about opening files originating from "the council and dominion of God"; Never know what sort of intrusive malware they might have pick up along the way.

Vivaldi said:

The only similarities are the modulations I have used - I like the modulations he uses here so I took his piece and expanded it to suit a more religious context.

Kristofer Emerig said:

I thought this sounded eerily too familiar; Listen to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moN5T9HD3BY

Vivaldi said:

This piece shall reside in the council and dominion of God - a kind of sacrament if you like, no? 

I am still a novice which is why I asked for recommendations on harmony textbooks. I am doing what Vivaldi typically did: exhausting a musical idea of all its possibilities. The two openings aren't THAT similar. In my interpretation I have used verbatim imitation between the violins to create a cyclic swinging effect not present in Vivaldi's interpretation. The figure is repeated more than twice because there is a rhythmic motif: quaver, quaver, dotted quaver that is echoed on C, G and E - this is easily overseen without aid of the score (which I now provide in this reply)

I added 3 more bars to the piece. I'm approaching a cadence. I'd like to include a counter melody of a dotted quaver, semiquaver perhaps in a minor key. I corrected the dissonance in the first violin at m7-m8. 

Inevitably I enhance my skill-set by deriving my own interpretation from Vivaldi's. I don't consider it as a form of plagiarism. All composers borrow from othesr, need I say more? 

Kristofer Emerig said:

The ONLY difference is the modulations? You didn't get to any modulations.

But what you did do is present the opening bars of the real Vivaldi's Concerto RV443, and you repeated his repeated figure a couple more times than in the original. (Silly rabbit, you should know authentic Italian composers like Vivaldi and Scarlatti only repeat everything twice.)

There's no "only difference" to it. Here's what you presented:

http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/attachment/download?id=773368%...

Which is virtually identical to the opening of the following:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moN5T9HD3BY

Vivaldi said:

The only similarities are the modulations I have used - I like the modulations he uses here so I took his piece and expanded it to suit a more religious context.

Attachments:

Actually if you want to learn 18th century polyphony (in addition to checking the primer written after this counterpoint was slowly being supplanted the style gallant - Fux which has its merits and faults) listen and study Corelli and Albinoni, then you will see Bach, Vivaldi, and Handel, Porpora, Pergolesi etc are indebted to these Italian folks.   Dover has a nice collection of Corelli's Concerto Grosso. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service