Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I was looking for a Studio Music Workstation Desk that could fit my 88 M - Audio Midi Controller and I came up with this arrangement and solution. It is composed of a desk and a keyboard stand with wheels cost of both is $270 in total and you can get it on Amazon. Links are provided to purchase these:

Table: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

Keyboard Stand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...

I think that $270 is a much better deal then the $1500 starting price for something like this.

Best Wishes to All,

Saul Dzorelashvili

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a very good idea! Especially for this money! 

I really like that keyboard stand. Is the height on it adjustable? I might need to get one when I finally get my new space ready.

Thanks for sharing these ideas!

You're Welcome, Tim.

Yes both the hight and the width of the stand can be adjusted, and it is so easy to work with, and does the exact same job that a $1500 table does. I believe the company that makes these music workstations thinks that they can jack up the price because there is no competition and people can't create an alternative that actually works, well I think that they are wrong.

The desk that they sell, looks almost identical to this both in looks and functions, but the price was simply ridiculous. A little research and I came up with this idea. Hope that others will benefit from it.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Saul

I believe when there were more large pro studios much of that specialty furniture could be afforded by those studio owners. Not so much anymore though.Other markets would include educational institutions. Some of those have larger budgets.

When larger studios began to go away, the home studio market became a narrow niche market. Much of that furniture still  expensive. Some of it is more affordable than others. Everyone seems to have different ergonomic needs in the studio all depending on how they like to work. I've seem some pretty crappy home made studio furniture. It gets the job done but won't win any beauty contests. I've  seen some nicely done home made studio furniture. The thing about making your own though, it takes time and you need knowledge and access to tools to do it. Most musicians want to make music and not spend a lot of time in a wood shop trying to build something.

I have too many home projects to do already. I didn't have time for another project and i had a friend who was really into wood working and I had him build mine. It was still about 1000.00 to have him build it.

Here's a pic of part of it. What you can't see is that the second tier keyboard and monitor shelf are designed to move forward. The monitor shelf will move all the way over the other two shelves . Either side of the desk will hold rack mount gear, plus there's tons of storage in the middle of the desk underneath. It is huge though. I had to bring it into the room in pieces and assemble it. If I had it to do over again I think I would have gone for more simplicity like you did here.The second keyboard comes in handy sometimes, but not often. Having the monitors closer would make it easier to see.

Desk

That's intense Tim! Nice Desk!

As far as spending a lot of time putting my desk together. The entire thing took 45 minutes that includes putting the keyboard stand. If anyone doesn't want to spend 45 minutes putting this beautiful desk up, then let them spend an extra $1000 no problem.

Cheers

By the way even if they buy the $1500 they would have to assemble it...

Good points. You have obviously gotten all the basics in place. What about studio monitors? Are you mixing on headphones?

Can you explain a little what you mean, I'm not sure what you're referring to...

Thanks

Monitors are speakers however whereas your normal audio speakers colour the sound studio monitors in theory present a completely flat and neutral playback allowing to to hear how the music really sounds and mix accurately. Using them well comes with some additional wrinkles like placing them correctly and normally using acoustic treatment foam in your mixing space or you can end up mixing inaccurately.

Headphones are generally to be avoided for mixing because they produce a biased mix and what sounds good in headphones will probably sound bad or at least not as good as it should when played through anything else. This is thanks to the stereo field which is compromised in headphones. Listen to some tracks on headphones and then speakers to hear the difference. The principle is that good studio monitors and a bit of knowhow on their usage means your music will sound good on any system and any speakers.

Saul Dzorelashvili said:

Can you explain a little what you mean, I'm not sure what you're referring to...

Thanks

Thanks!

Charles Holt said:

Monitors are speakers however whereas your normal audio speakers colour the sound studio monitors in theory present a completely flat and neutral playback allowing to to hear how the music really sounds and mix accurately. Using them well comes with some additional wrinkles like placing them correctly and normally using acoustic treatment foam in your mixing space or you can end up mixing inaccurately.

Headphones are generally to be avoided for mixing because they produce a biased mix and what sounds good in headphones will probably sound bad or at least not as good as it should when played through anything else. This is thanks to the stereo field which is compromised in headphones. Listen to some tracks on headphones and then speakers to hear the difference. The principle is that good studio monitors and a bit of knowhow on their usage means your music will sound good on any system and any speakers.

Saul Dzorelashvili said:

Thanks

Charles gave a good answer to that. Sorry I took awhile to get back. I've been busy out playing.

I think you'll need monitors to do a decent job.

I use software called ARC 2 as well because I don't have pro audio treatment in my studio. Hearing the results on other systems helps to determine if your mixing strategy is working.

That's ok Tim, Thanks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service