Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

struggling with "unrealistic" strings..any advice on software to use and techniques..

i am currently using string patches within logic 8 pro and vsl orchestra with kontakt2. although these packages have been ok in the past as i'm now doing more tv work i'm finding that the quality just isn't up to scratch. i'm aware that nothing will beat a live performance but as there is never a budget large enough to consider that does anyone have any advice on packages or techniques i should be looking into that will help avoid the "synth" sound i always seem to end up with.

Views: 1361

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some good ideas---I'll try some of that out.

Thanks
Anyone of you who has EW Symphonic Orchestra libraries tried the patches called "run simulator"? I have not used it yet, but wanted to know how they work (as the name indicates their purpose for some fast string passages).

Cheers,
Michal
Am I to understand that 'chops' means 'skills'?
Hi Michal,

Yes I've used them. There's no doubt that simulating fast string runs is REALLY REALLY difficult.

I just used them and wrote in the fast runs. They're not bad but in the end I layered them with 5 other tracks (including the VSL Appassionata Trills, Symphobia stuff, chamber strings, solo strings) and EQ'd them like crazy to make them sound less full and I felt like I got a decent result. It's a ton of work though, no doubt.

Here's an example ... http://www.jamessemple.com/ls/setnin1.mp3 ... the string run is right at the start.
Well it's quite simple. Load your 18 V run Simulator.
Active the CC 65 (Portamento) and the CC5 in your midi editor.
With the CC5 you will tune the lenght or the portamento efect. The lower CC5, the longuer Portamento effect

It is describe in p102 of the User's Manual of the EWQLSO Gold Complete Play version

Michal Cielecki said:
Anyone of you who has EW Symphonic Orchestra libraries tried the patches called "run simulator"? I have not used it yet, but wanted to know how they work (as the name indicates their purpose for some fast string passages).

Cheers,
Michal
Hey thanks for that info on the Run Simulator, I'd not seen that before!

LeBeginner said:
With the CC5 you will tune the lenght or the portamento efect. The lower CC5, the longuer Portamento effect

It is describe in p102 of the User's Manual of the EWQLSO Gold Complete Play version

Michal Cielecki said:

Cheers,
Michal
There are a bunch of good answers here. I would say that anything you choose to do will require a major investment in time and money to buy the right stuff and to learn how to really implement it properly. I have been focused on it since 2003 and every year I still have to shell out thousands and thousands in upgrades and spend countless hours in new templates and concepts. What about using a few live players mixed in at least, or maybe find a situation with a junior college orchestra that will practice your pieces enough to play them good enough to record? I find that even one strong soloist can change a mockup dramatically to sounding a lot more convincing
It's always a pleasure... ;-)

James Semple said:
Hey thanks for that info on the Run Simulator, I'd not seen that before!

LeBeginner said:

Michal Cielecki said:

Cheers,
Michal
This topic was covered to great effect in episode #75 of the Inside Home Recording podcast.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service