Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Here now my final movement of my string quartett in C-Major with a main theme based on Beethoven's last sketches for a string quintett: http://gerdprengel.de/WoO62_4.mp3

a working sheet as a preliminary score is attached 

This movement means very much to me...

Gerd

Views: 162

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good morning, Gerd,

A most accomplished work. There's nothing to criticise. It is so Beethoven-like if I may say so, going a little beyond his 1826 efforts. Beautiful writing, a complicated interplay of parts and a superbly balanced performance.

Was it a live performance?

Anyway, a gifted piece of work.

All the best,

Dane

Gerd,

This is quite amazing. I am just wondering to be sure. This is in no way Beethoven's work, yet based on it? 

Wonderful work here!

Thank you, I am glad you like it!

Dane, it is rendered by my beloved NotePerformer - I am glad that you considered it to be a live performance - I wish it was :-)

Tim, only the 4 bar main theme is by Beethoven. The elaboration of it is mine. This theme is so capable for manifold developments ... 

Gerd

Well, Gerd, you're not a surprise anymore. So it is your mastery of counterpoint.

The movement soon turns into a baroque-early classic style, which I think fully embrace Beethoven's spirit, given his devotion to Handel.

Another great work. I wish I could event think such a counterpoint even once in my life.

Thank you, Gabriele, for your appreciation. Yes, I ADORE counterpoint embedded in my pieces to create a sence of transcedence but mostly they are only rather short. I wish I could some day also do longer counterpoint passages which so far exceeds my capabilities ... 

Gerd

That came as a surprise. The performance is indeed polished and brings out the complex scoring well. Others seem to have trouble balancing the dynamics even with this software. I didn't comment on the score because there was nothing to say... except, yes, you'd need good quartet players to bring it off with the verve of your rendering.

Gerd Prengel said:

Dane, it is rendered by my beloved NotePerformer - I am glad that you considered it to be a live performance - I wish it was :-)

Tim, only the 4 bar main theme is by Beethoven. The elaboration of it is mine. This theme is so capable for manifold developments ... 

Gerd

Gerd,

Now the semester is over I have finally had a chance to listen to your Quartet in its entirety... and I am just awestruck! This is wonderful work... others have mentioned the counterpoint, which I greatly adore, but the feature that jumps out at me the most strongly - indeed in the whole work - is the freshness and spontaneity of the lyricism, that almost sounds as if improvised, with all the sudden changes of direction... yet on close listening there is a clear and logical working-out and structure. I must say that even though the theme is Beethoven, the work really does not sound like LvB... the lyricism, the melodic lines with their abundant syncopation, as well as the frequent and sometimes surprising turns of harmony, are quite individually yours.

My one regret is that I wish the scores you posted had been directly from Finale... there is much intricate articulation in the writing that is clearly not in the posted scores. In working with NP under Sibelius, I am often frustrated by the way the articulations I intend (and think I am writing) are not realized in the rendering, and I'm forced to "hack" the note lengths to get NP to play what I want to hear. It would be nice to see how you made this work.

In any case, many kudos for a very fine work.

Liz

Thanks for clearing this up Gerd. I admire your work!

Gerd Prengel said:

Gerd

Warning, warning! I revived this thread with a necropost... Gerd's last reply was over two months ago.

Timothy Smith said:

Thanks for clearing this up Gerd. I admire your work!

Gerd Prengel said:

Gerd

Dear Liz, thank you sooo much for your nice words for my quartett! Imagine, I am now in contact with a string quartett in Russia that will play and record first the 1st movement of my quartett. I am very exited and hope it will turn out the way I imagine, so that after this I may record also the other 3 movements :-)

http://gerdprengel.de/WoO62_1.mp3

http://gerdprengel.de/WoO62-1.pdf

Gerd

Liz Atems said:

Gerd,

Now the semester is over I have finally had a chance to listen to your Quartet in its entirety... and I am just awestruck! This is wonderful work... others have mentioned the counterpoint, which I greatly adore, but the feature that jumps out at me the most strongly - indeed in the whole work - is the freshness and spontaneity of the lyricism, that almost sounds as if improvised, with all the sudden changes of direction... yet on close listening there is a clear and logical working-out and structure. I must say that even though the theme is Beethoven, the work really does not sound like LvB... the lyricism, the melodic lines with their abundant syncopation, as well as the frequent and sometimes surprising turns of harmony, are quite individually yours.

My one regret is that I wish the scores you posted had been directly from Finale... there is much intricate articulation in the writing that is clearly not in the posted scores. In working with NP under Sibelius, I am often frustrated by the way the articulations I intend (and think I am writing) are not realized in the rendering, and I'm forced to "hack" the note lengths to get NP to play what I want to hear. It would be nice to see how you made this work.

In any case, many kudos for a very fine work.

Liz

Gerd, that's wonderful! Congratulations on getting a recording by real human musicians, and I truly hope it does turn out the way you imagine! Will you post the finished product?

BTW I am also working with a local violist who has promised to record part of my Fugal Variations, or at least the violin and viola parts, by mixing multiple tracks of herself performing. The cello part would still be exported from Sibelius, but it's a start. And we are discussing submitting the work to a local chamber string orchestra for a true performance... after I finish my revision. Still, I'm excited as well!

Best wishes,

Liz

Gerd Prengel said:

Dear Liz, thank you sooo much for your nice words for my quartett! Imagine, I am now in contact with a string quartett in Russia that will play and record first the 1st movement of my quartett. I am very exited and hope it will turn out the way I imagine, so that after this I may record also the other 3 movements :-)

http://gerdprengel.de/WoO62_1.mp3

http://gerdprengel.de/WoO62-1.pdf

Gerd

Wow, Gerd, this is an admirable piece of artwork. I'm so glad you didn't try to imitate Beethoven throughout the Allegro Vivace. You've created a personal style with a Beethoven theme and that's huge merit! The quartet really sounds like a quartet should: close and detailed with wonderful dynamic movements and contrasts. I like the way you've worked with the thematic material in a way that never bores.

The only thing that could be improved is the sound of the fast repeated notes. In technical terms it's often called "machine gun effect". It is easy to avoid this: no player could/would ever play 20 or more notes exactly the same (loudness, velocity, length, constant dynamic...). But when you repeat a single note 20 times, that is exactly what happens. So how to tackle this: if you don't have live prerecorded repetitions in your libraries, you could change note per note the length, the attack velocity, the dynamic and that will certainly do the trick. It will gain realism and become more interesting.

Many congrats with this realization, Gerd!

Jos

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service