Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

My third string quartet. Played by the Hugo Wolf Quartett in the Vienna Konzerthaus. Fell free to comment (also directly on youtube if you like).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCegI55Koy8

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I enjoyed this very much.. reminds me a bit of post romanticism - (a la Korngold, Steiner, etc..) mixed with some impressionism...  Lots to listen for and lovely surprises!  Really wonderful.

Thanks for posting

I enjoyed this too. Great expressionistic writing and a deep and sure knowledge of writing for strings.
Thanks for posting.

I've said this before in similar circumstances - I wouldn't listen to it and it's not my thing, but I respect the effort and skill evident. While I wouldn't write it, I also couldn't write it.

You seem to have a large amount of live recordings and performances, how do you achieve that - money, entering festivals, student recitals etc?

Hi Fred-B, and thanks for posting you work. I am generally reluctant to post on works which I do not ultimately like, but your piece intrigued me, and I listened to it several times. I think you have a kernel of something here, a talent which has not IMO progressed to where it could ultimately get. There is a monochrome bent about it, again IMO only, not enough high-highs, and not enough low-lows. The piece seems to just move forward with a single-mindedness in a narrow range. The melody did not stand out for me either. Overall, I want to hear you stretch more boundaries, and strive for more contrast

Personally, I didn't get the impression a/the/any melody was meant to stand out or that such was even the purpose. I'm sure Fred could compose music which correlates better to my own notions of taste, or yours, but approaching a work obviously composed with an entirely different endgame and saying it represents a "kernel" of unfinished talent? It's the ultimate damn with faint praise.

Gav Brown said:

Hi Fred-B, and thanks for posting you work. I am generally reluctant to post on works which I do not ultimately like, but your piece intrigued me, and I listened to it several times. I think you have a kernel of something here, a talent which has not IMO progressed to where it could ultimately get. There is a monochrome bent about it, again IMO only, not enough high-highs, and not enough low-lows. The piece seems to just move forward with a single-mindedness in a narrow range. The melody did not stand out for me either. Overall, I want to hear you stretch more boundaries, and strive for more contrast

Beautiful!!! Congratulations!!

It was in no way meant to be faint praise

Dave Dexter said:

Personally, I didn't get the impression a/the/any melody was meant to stand out or that such was even the purpose. I'm sure Fred could compose music which correlates better to my own notions of taste, or yours, but approaching a work obviously composed with an entirely different endgame and saying it represents a "kernel" of unfinished talent? It's the ultimate damn with faint praise.

Gav Brown said:

Hi Fred-B, and thanks for posting you work. I am generally reluctant to post on works which I do not ultimately like, but your piece intrigued me, and I listened to it several times. I think you have a kernel of something here, a talent which has not IMO progressed to where it could ultimately get. There is a monochrome bent about it, again IMO only, not enough high-highs, and not enough low-lows. The piece seems to just move forward with a single-mindedness in a narrow range. The melody did not stand out for me either. Overall, I want to hear you stretch more boundaries, and strive for more contrast

A truly beautiful, touching and moving piece..very impressive and professionally done:) I enjoyed this tremendously.

My only thought--and its directed more towards myself as Id need to listen to the piece more times to be sure--I feel the possible need for and am missing some faster sections. At times I thought you might be leading into some..

Again, a truly wonderful piece, and GREAT job. Thanks so much for posting.

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Ok, but fyi, if you ever describe my music as containing a "kernel of talent", I will not interpret it positively :D

Gav Brown said:

It was in no way meant to be faint praise

Very nice! Bartok would be proud :)

Great performance too. Hugo Wolf Quartett are literal pros.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service