Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi Everyone! This is my first composition they I finished all the way through and feel pretty good about, so I thought I could post it here and get some advice. (Mind the occasional weird pitch, sloppy dynamics and weird pauses, the program I used for this piece wasn't great.)

https://prod-cache.flat.io/5b61d07784691065ff0a8bed/f3d47ac8-6000-4...

Thanks it advance!

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you have anyone who has access to better sound samples. I found the (what i assume to be) midi samples very hard to listen to.

In my own endeavours to gain more experience in arranging and working with a DAW environment, I'd be happy to run your score through my Garritan player and send you the wav file. It would be a good chance to open a cross Atlantic collaboration.

Cooperation is always good Graeme but with the exception of some reverb, I don't hear a lot of difference between your sample quality and Elias'!

Elias, I would recommend adding some subtle hall reverb to start with as almost all live music is heard in reverberant spaces and an utterly dry sample instantly draws the ear's attention. Working in churches has made me very aware of how integral reverb is to a recital but unless your players are in a padded cell, there will be SOME even in drier spaces than churches or halls.

Graeme Helliwell said:

Do you have anyone who has access to better sound samples. I found the (what i assume to be) midi samples very hard to listen to.

In my own endeavours to gain more experience in arranging and working with a DAW environment, I'd be happy to run your score through my Garritan player and send you the wav file. It would be a good chance to open a cross Atlantic collaboration.

I've recently started using NotePerformer3 as my playback engine for Sibelius, and I have to say the results are spectacular. I don't know it it is as good as East/West in a DAW, but I've gotten great results from a simple playback of a Sibelius file. I'm so impressed with it, that I am making a playback version of my 3rd Symphony. It has some aleatoric stuff in it that I need to approximate, but most of it sounds almost like a real orchestra.

NotePerformer3 apparently works with Finale, too, but I haven't had much luck with it yet.

As for your quartet, Elias, I think the playback doesn't do your piece justice. I think you would get more response with a better playback file. I found this one difficult to listen to.

I use NotePerformer with Finale and the change it has made is dramatic. Way better than Garritan!

Elias,

Thanks for posting this. It is clear that you have put much thought into this piece. As for your recording, I had no trouble hearing your intention for the music. What sounds good to one person might not to another. For example, let me offer that NP makes my skin crawl. But I think that we need to be able to listen to your melodies, your counterpoint, and how things fit together. All very clear in your file. Quality of music is not determined by the instruments that perform it, but by the notes, the musical intent. Sure, instruments bring the music alive, but better samples don't improve the music. 

I must be honest and admit that, as said many times above, the playback used really doesnt help your piece.

It was really difficult to listen to and as soon as I was making sense of a section something with the playback threw it off, and I had to infer an awful lot listening to your piece which I honestly cant say was actually there.

I think theres a lot of good stuff here, that I was able to hear, but you really do need better playback, not just for those listening to your piece, but for you yourself  to see and make sure that everything there is actually what you want, and wasnt hidden masked or distorted by the poor playback.

Good job and thanks for posting:)

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Elias,

Perhaps those complaining about your playback could actually offer some help. For example if your software isn't that great, then NotePerformer won't work with it. We could offer suggestions as to what software you can use. There are free options. I am sorry that you got up enough courage to post your first piece only to deal with this. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service