Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi,

This is something I started but never finished, back when I was obsessed with Stravinsky.
My friends often ask me why I named it Strakk... though it was just cause I saved a typo.

Movement 1: Mountain and Mouse
Juxtaposes a picture of a mountain and a mouse, which opens the story. The mouse wanders into a cave and finds the phoenix egg. Begins to roll the egg out of the cave, but is attacked by the mother phoenix. The egg rolls out of the cave, and into the forest.

Movement 2: Forest
A few animals gather for a forest stroll. They encounter the egg, but the phoenix snatches the egg from them. The egg is broken.

Movement 3: The Phoenix
The phoenix goes into a rage, destroying the forest.

Movement 4: Carnival Spirit
A boy who can talk to animals is at a fair until he he hears animals calling for help.

Please let me know what you think and give feedback if you are have time.

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Views: 153

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ouch. Do you have any suggestions for where I can begin improvement? For example, I have no idea what you mean by mixing skill, so obviously I suck at that. 

I had only meant that Stravinsky was an inspiration, but I will change the title then.

Raymond Kemp said:

Stravinsky?

Not with these sounds and lack of mixing skill. Do not mention great composers you can't live with.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Kemp.

The only thing I have right now is Notion 3, which was a birthday present. I probably won't be able to get anything that isn't freeware, but I don't really know.

I wasn't really planning on writing for anything in particular, but writing for games sounds like something that could be fun.

Thanks again for your response. I hope I didn't offend you with the Stravinsky thing. I didn't realize I was so off the mark. 

Raymond Kemp said:

Yes, I know what you meant Richard.

May I take it, you have hopes for yourself on creating music for games and if so you will need to be skilled in the use of virtual instrument sample libraries and Digital Audio Workstations. Perhaps you could describe the tools you have and we may be able to help you create a more open recording.

Haha, all right.

Thanks for the help!

Raymond Kemp said:

Ha!

Don't you spoil my street cred by making me seem nice LOL and Ray will do just fine....... not Mr.

Now, I believe Notion 3 can play vst instruments so you can download the free stuff on this page

http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/how-to-create-a-studio-...

Try some of these out.............have fun.

Ray

There were a lot of good things in these pieces. I could hear the Stravinsky influences throughout the piece. 

However, I felt that their was little direction. Overall, it felt like just one idea after another that had little to do with each other. 

Also, the pacing was a little off for me. Some ideas stagnated while others were gone before they had a chance to fully develop. 

A lot of these things will be fixed the more you compose and with age. Other than that good job. there is a lot of potential in this music. 

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep working at it.

Tyler Hughes said:

There were a lot of good things in these pieces. I could hear the Stravinsky influences throughout the piece. 

However, I felt that their was little direction. Overall, it felt like just one idea after another that had little to do with each other. 

Also, the pacing was a little off for me. Some ideas stagnated while others were gone before they had a chance to fully develop. 

A lot of these things will be fixed the more you compose and with age. Other than that good job. there is a lot of potential in this music. 

I am commenting on the Mov. 3,4.  It was eerie and haunting, with a gradual crescendo punctuated by appropriate percussion.  Then you went into a somewhat macaub march.  That would have been a good place to end.  When you went whimsical I thought it was a little out of place for that movement.  This is not my genre, but I really liked the piece, one of the best posts in a long while.

Lawrence

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service