Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Here's a piano solo I wrote called Stitches.  Would love some feedback, good or bad, objective or subjective.

Thanks!

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It.s full of classical vibes; You have used a lot of deceptive Cadence showing massively with the harmony choice of yours using the left hand. I kinda felt it works perfectly as a background music for a silent movie. I see a good effort here. The call vs. respond relationship is vague and I like that, I could not clearly define it, which is interesting cause it kinda feels like its overwhelming and unpredictable. Good Job, I look forward to hear more.

Regards  

Thanks for the interesting feedback.  I actually did have this in mind as the soundtrack to a short film I was working on but never finished.  However it prompted me to post a second very different piece here, which I did use as the soundtrack for a short silent black & white film I made.  See what you think: http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/the-remaining-rag-ragti...

Islam Y.Omari said:

It.s full of classical vibes; You have used a lot of deceptive Cadence showing massively with the harmony choice of yours using the left hand. I kinda felt it works perfectly as a background music for a silent movie. I see a good effort here. The call vs. respond relationship is vague and I like that, I could not clearly define it, which is interesting cause it kinda feels like its overwhelming and unpredictable. Good Job, I look forward to hear more.

Regards  

I like the unusual approach to melody you take, with brief snippets rather than longer phrases. Also the chord progression is interesting, and the altered chords provide a nice touch of color. Could stand on its own as a prelude or sketch, or would also make sense as background music to some rather dark mystery movie sequence (I did not read your comment regarding this before listening, so my reaction was genuine). Although I personally like it better on its own.

Hi Michael, thanks for the feedback.  It's doing minor in the left hand and major in the right at some points, which makes it sound a bit off-kilter, though I didn't even notice that till after I'd written it.  At least I can play this one, unlike the ragtime/boogie piece I posted!  And it's necessary here because the tempo changes a lot, which is hard to get right in software.

michael diemer said:

I like the unusual approach to melody you take, with brief snippets rather than longer phrases. Also the chord progression is interesting, and the altered chords provide a nice touch of color. Could stand on its own as a prelude or sketch, or would also make sense as background music to some rather dark mystery movie sequence (I did not read your comment regarding this before listening, so my reaction was genuine). Although I personally like it better on its own.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service