Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I am looking to seriously upgrade (or rather purchase from scratch) a sound library better than Sibelius, or the basic midi I have at present.

The big but, is that I use Sibelius 7.1, and want something that will play back picking up dynamics, phrasing and articulation, without me having to do anything extra....also I need (more than orchestral sounds) a decent choral library. I have looked at East West, but cannot find out if it will simply sing an "ah" sound (what I have currently.) I would LOVE words, or even vowel sounds, but don't want to commit composing time to typing all in. Vienna sound library looks at though it would do this, but the cost is way more than i have to spend !

I know that East West does not pick up lyrics from the score, but basic choral sound is decent, so I don't mind just one "ah" sound for the playback. 

Has anyone had experience of EastWest and Sibelius, with choral music?

Or is there anything out there that will do this? (Im not keen on Garriton Personal Orch choral sounds, or Note Performer.) Thanks to anyone who answers ! Getting desperate to hear anything even resembling what is on the score !!

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Suzanne.

I had been using Noteperformer with Sibelius, I think it does a good job of interpreting phrasing. Sounds are better than default Sibelius.

I also got “Voices of Prague” when it was on special a few months ago. Haven’t checked the current price. 

James Gilmour here showed me how to use “VOP” with Sibelius. It has a word builder.

haven’t done anything with it yet as I now use StaffPad for composing and Sibelius just for the engraving.

just checked virharmonic for VOP. Not on their site anymore, shame. I believe they are working on an update $$$.

Staffpad has Voxos from Cinesamples. Has some limited vowels and consonants.

Thanks Michael, 

I have not heard of VOP so will check it out. Think i will probably not be going in to world builder (well, maybe just the odd piece !) as can't face spending so much time as a technician !

I tend to compose orchestral things on Sibelius, but most choral things are basically "dumped" at the piano first, so, I like yourself, it's largely for copying / engraving...same with all the piano music. Once they are all "in" though, it would be nice to to have to listen to the chipmunks" and it's impossible to sod an=ything with the music when it sounds so bad !

Thanks so much for your input

Suzanne
Michael Lofting said:

Hi Suzanne.

I had been using Noteperformer with Sibelius, I think it does a good job of interpreting phrasing. Sounds are better than default Sibelius.

I also got “Voices of Prague” when it was on special a few months ago. Haven’t checked the current price. 

James Gilmour here showed me how to use “VOP” with Sibelius. It has a word builder.

haven’t done anything with it yet as I now use StaffPad for composing and Sibelius just for the engraving.

just checked virharmonic for VOP. Not on their site anymore, shame. I believe they are working on an update $$$.

Staffpad has Voxos from Cinesamples. Has some limited vowels and consonants.

Here’s a small choral piece StaffPad and Voxos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXKnir4oxfc 

I have just listened, and I know you put it up as a sound sample, but I can't resist saying how much i liked it as a piece of music too ! 

The sounds were very good too, and had a good choral quality. I will check out whether it could be used with Sibelius though. My husband uses StaffPad, but I found it was too slow for me, as the notes seemed to take ages to go in ! Maybe it's his IPad?

I will check this all out further though, to see if it runs with Sib. and if I can afford it, and it will run on my old computer !

All "problems." The limited vowels would be great, and if it does a few consonants as well, even better.

Thanks Micheal,

Suzanne

Michael Lofting said:

Here’s a small choral piece StaffPad and Voxos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXKnir4oxfc 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service