Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is my new composition Song of the Earth. It is about the beauty and grandeur of the earth.

Song of the Earth

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Saul, this was unexpected. You don't usually make ambient electronic music, do you? It is impressive that you try new genres. Although I like it better when you choose the classical style, I find a joy in this piece too.

There are a couple of annoying and disturbing sound failures at 1:39 and 2:34.

Thank you.

Kjell

Dear Kjell. Thank you for listening. I went over those two sections you pointed out I'm not sure what you're referring to I was not able to hear those disturbing sounds as you called it. What kind of speakers are you using? I'm using Bose and they are high quality speakers and I don't hear any problem. 

As for branching out, yes well , keeping it colorful and varied is part of the fun. I like exploring other sounds and genres.

Glad you enjoyed it,

Thanks

Yes, it could depend on sound system of course. There is a overload at those point in my system which are headphones of not particularly high quality. Let's hear what others say.

Greetings,

Kjell

Saul Gefen said:

Dear Kjell. Thank you for listening. I went over those two sections you pointed out I'm not sure what you're referring to I was not able to hear those disturbing sounds as you called it. What kind of speakers are you using? I'm using Bose and they are high quality speakers and I don't hear any problem. 

As for branching out, yes well , keeping it colorful and varied is part of the fun. I like exploring other sounds and genres.

Glad you enjoyed it,

Thanks

at 1:39 and 2:34, I don't notice anything, but my headphones aren't good quality. 

I like your work ; the title is well chosen, I feel energy when I listen to it (I'm just missing one thing with ambient music : melody). 

Thank You. The piece is based on a melody but a very simple one. Begins with a minor and then changes to major towards the middle of the piece. Thanks for listening.

Gilles C. said:

at 1:39 and 2:34, I don't notice anything, but my headphones aren't good quality. 

I like your work ; the title is well chosen, I feel energy when I listen to it (I'm just missing one thing with ambient music : melody). 

Saul,

I liked this. Has a very cinematic feel to it. Mixing decisions are often very subjective.For me personally I might have used lighter percussion or not have it so overt in the mix, especially toward the end. I like that the percussion gives it some movement. Otherwise it would be a much more static piece. The vocals or choir work well and give it a bigger feeling. The low bass drum...I call it that because I hear a boom but am not entirely sure if it is a drum. I might high pass that or in other words roll off some of the low frequencies below 30hz for that track. The boom almost does not seem percussive to me. More like distant thunder or close. You could give the impression of a storm using lighting efx.

Thanks Tim for your suggestions, glad you liked the piece.

Well, it can certainly work also with your suggestion, it would be different, not sure if exactly how I wanted it. It does have certain benefits. The truth is that in some aspects I initially wanted to compose this piece a little different then this version, especially the strings, but there is a limit of how much you can do when you're not using any loops and are putting every note manually. This was a challenging piece to write for me from a technical point of view. I wanted to keep everything as natural as possible to keep it organic as much as possible, it does have its costs and benefits.

The only thing that I disagree with you in principal and will not be open to change is the percussion hits towards then end, this was done on purpose and I really like it personally so I wouldn't be open to change that. I think it gives the piece a certain vividness and natural feel, so I will definitely keep that.

Best Wishes,

Saul, I see you coming along very well with these new tools. You are putting in notes manually? Do you mean you input notes one at a time on the piano roll?

As a pianist, why not play the parts in? Maybe I misunderstood your comments.

I wasn't saying to make the percussion at the end soft just "softer". In any case you do with it what you will.It's your song.

One thing that has helped me is not to see my music as complete, ever. I might come back to it several years later and make changes to it unless it was published.

Hi,

Not putting the notes manually but playing each sound manually instead of copying and pasting sections of it. With this piece it was difficult because I used strings as a percussion and I wanted play out these sections manually since it was a repeated pattern it was challenging. No I wouldn't make those hits softer towards the end, I really like it the way it is. I'm always open for changing and I have changed works several years later as well.

Best Wishes

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service