Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Just uploaded a new song.  It's a bit Beatles-ish, 60s-ish, and psychedelic, and ... not sure exactly.  Interested in feedback anyone might have, good or bad, on any aspect.

Thanks,

Rob

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I enjoyed this. The only thing that seemed slightly out of place to me was the chipmunk vocalist. I think this added a less serious element to it and made me think it wasn't a serious work and instead was some guy playing around with plug ins or audio stretching techniques. You nailed the eastern mysticism Beatles drugged up feeling though in spades. I especially liked the way you played this out on piano.The tired spacey vocals almost sounded like one of the Beatles.Some of the mix seemed just a little to up front for a similar Beatles mix. That's just my biased opinion talking here and not really based on anything but my memory of those mixes and how distant they seemed. If no comparison is made this stands pretty well on it's own.

Very nice. Seems to capture what I know of the flavour of the times. Original in that I can't single out a particular influence. A nice production. Sounds like the kind of thing artists of the 60s did on a 4- or 8-track tape recorder. Very Oz Magazine. Have to say the vocal had parallels with Syd Barrett / Roger Waters. May I ask what you were smoking before you did the vocal!? (j/k) An easy-going slur except when you growled (or whoever sang it for you).

Hi Disconnectica,

It is well executed and hits the atmospheric mark I think you were striving for, congratulations for that. The only place where I thought the piece lagged was that if you take out all the psychedelic effects, what you're left with is a pretty conventional pop tune. Really good psychedelia will surprise you even with just the raw tune. An unexpected chord, A weird melodic hook, something to make it stand out. Thanks for posting!

Gav

Thanks for your comments! A few people have mentioned the chipmunk vocals, and I know what you mean.  The lyrics are ultimately quite pessimistic so it was kind of a juxtaposition to that.  Some people have said that they weren't sure at first, but liked them after a second listen, so maybe see if that helps?  I feel like once the listener gets over the initial humour it works, or I hope so :)

Funny thing is I was never going for Beatles, psychedelic, 60s or any of that.  That's just what people have told me.  But I guess it ended up that way.  Not surprised the mix is different.  I do wonder if it's too cluttered.  Sounds like a bit of a cacophony at times.

Glad you mentioned the piano, yeah I think that works well but good to hear what other ears think.

I really can't sing at all, so tired spacey vocals is playing to my strengths (or weaknesses)!

Timothy Smith said:

I enjoyed this. The only thing that seemed slightly out of place to me was the chipmunk vocalist. I think this added a less serious element to it and made me think it wasn't a serious work and instead was some guy playing around with plug ins or audio stretching techniques. You nailed the eastern mysticism Beatles drugged up feeling though in spades. I especially liked the way you played this out on piano.The tired spacey vocals almost sounded like one of the Beatles.Some of the mix seemed just a little to up front for a similar Beatles mix. That's just my biased opinion talking here and not really based on anything but my memory of those mixes and how distant they seemed. If no comparison is made this stands pretty well on it's own.

Thanks Dane, glad to hear you can't single out a particular influence, since everyone is saying Beatles.  I wasn't trying to sound like anything in particular along the way, just doing whatever felt right.

Yep the vocals are me, the only non-virtual part, although they're somewhat virtual by the time I fix the timing and pitch etc!  I can't really sing at all, so comparisons with Beatles and Floyd are appreciated :)  Maybe smoking and never-having-really-sung-in-my-life sound similar.  But yeah I think lazy croaky vocals is what I can manage, plus the occasional growling!

Dane Aubrun said:

Very nice. Seems to capture what I know of the flavour of the times. Original in that I can't single out a particular influence. A nice production. Sounds like the kind of thing artists of the 60s did on a 4- or 8-track tape recorder. Very Oz Magazine. Have to say the vocal had parallels with Syd Barrett / Roger Waters. May I ask what you were smoking before you did the vocal!? (j/k) An easy-going slur except when you growled (or whoever sang it for you).

Thanks for the feedback Gav.  I wasn't particularly going for psychedelic, but I guess that's where it ended up.  You can hear the stripped back version in the piano at the end (at least of the chorus).  I thought the chords were interesting, but no nothing crazy in the psychedelic sense.  I always seem to end up using augmented 5ths though :)  And although the melody is a bit different in every verse, it does all sound like it's from the same page of the catalogue.

Gav Brown said:

Hi Disconnectica,

It is well executed and hits the atmospheric mark I think you were striving for, congratulations for that. The only place where I thought the piece lagged was that if you take out all the psychedelic effects, what you're left with is a pretty conventional pop tune. Really good psychedelia will surprise you even with just the raw tune. An unexpected chord, A weird melodic hook, something to make it stand out. Thanks for posting!

Gav

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service