Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is another track from my new album. for a change there is (almost) no piano in this. Synths and strings and some light drumming. The piece is in 3/4 time. My daughter was born in October 1998 and I was trying to capture that warm woolley feeling when a newborn is asleep and the house is quiet and it is snowing outside. When everything feels soft but also fragile and wonderful.

Listen here:

October 1998 - Nigel Campbell

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Nigel

heard two of your songs and I'm already a fan...

It gave me chills it was so good!
I'd like to know what you used for the main synth (playing like a treble less the string section) and I have a suggestion, the drums could be more in the background to avoid this becoming a alternative rock song. notably for kicks and rides(cymbals?). It's purely taste and I get it if you like it as it is of course.

Hi Nigel,

Pleasant movie background music with some nice chord progressions. The 2nd part, where the melody comes in more strongly, struck me as the best part of the piece. Thanks for sharing!

Gav

Thanks for the kind comments. 

They synth is a Roland Juno 60 emulator from Cherry Audio (a bargain at $25). There is a lot of layering (each chord has 5 notes and they are then replicated over 3 octaves and mixed in and out to create movement. there is also lots of eq and reverb to enhance that sound.

I do like the drums as they provide a nice organic counterpoint to the very synthetic chords and in the context of the album this is the only track with a true, natural drum track. That said, this is still a rough mix. I have two more tracks to complete and then I will mix and refine all the tracks before final mastering so it is likely that the drums will sit back a bit more once that happens.

There are more track from the album here: 
https://soundcloud.com/nigelcampbell

(everything above "A Harvest too Soon" will be on the new album, but these are early mixes and I have already made some mix and instrument changes (I replayed the entire piano part on one track) since I put them up here. My process is to get a rough mix and then put it on soundlcoud so I can listen to is around the house or on my phone and other speakers to get a sense of what works and what doesn't. Hope that helps. Happy to answer any more questions.

Nigel

8Rivers said:

Hello Nigel

heard two of your songs and I'm already a fan...

It gave me chills it was so good!
I'd like to know what you used for the main synth (playing like a treble less the string section) and I have a suggestion, the drums could be more in the background to avoid this becoming a alternative rock song. notably for kicks and rides(cymbals?). It's purely taste and I get it if you like it as it is of course.

Thanks Gav, I tried to keep the melody lighter in the first half to avoid it getting repetitious.

Gav Brown said:

Hi Nigel,

Pleasant movie background music with some nice chord progressions. The 2nd part, where the melody comes in more strongly, struck me as the best part of the piece. Thanks for sharing!

Gav

Beautiful stuff here Nigel, I enjoyed it. Very ambient and peaceful but with detail for those of us who are listening closely which is appreciated. I think the drums could come up some without intruding but we'd have to hear it to be sure I guess.

My hearing is not the best so I could easily be wrong but I think your lower midrange frequencies could be notched just a bit maybe in a couple of places to enhance the clarity.  Probably just my nit pick though, good work!

Thanks for the comments Ingo. This is still the 1st draft mix (basically just a levels balance) and once the last 2 tracks are recorded (hopefully in the next 2 weeks!) I will do a final mix - this is where I address frequency clashes and give things space and fix any low end mud. Then they will be mastered before the album release.

Ingo Lee said:

Beautiful stuff here Nigel, I enjoyed it. Very ambient and peaceful but with detail for those of us who are listening closely which is appreciated. I think the drums could come up some without intruding but we'd have to hear it to be sure I guess.

My hearing is not the best so I could easily be wrong but I think your lower midrange frequencies could be notched just a bit maybe in a couple of places to enhance the clarity.  Probably just my nit pick though, good work!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service