Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi all,

this concert for piano and string orchestra is based on my favorite theme, a bit of a jazzy character. It was formed during end of summer when winds are particularly whimsical which formed a large part of inspiration for me.

In addition to piano there are also two parts for solo violin where the second one is meant to be played as an improvisation.

It is a long piece but the form is repeated in the second half so if you are short of time, it would be valuable for me to get some feedback on first half.

All the best,

Kjell

https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/the-caress-of-the-wind-piano-...

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kjell,

This is well-composed in your classical style, with perhaps a bit of an update on the harmony, which felt to me a little bit more in the 20th century pop-classical than I usually see you venture into. I listened to about half of it and skimmed through the remainder, which seemed of similar character. I would suggest that given how the piece stays in the same range throughout, you could express your ideas fully without needing the full length as you have written it, but perhaps that is just a matter of taste. One other thing - I usually do not comment on titles, but this one does seem to me to be mis-named. 'Caress of Winds' implies to me a light touch, yet the piece is somewhat heavier than that. Especially with the piano left hand spending a lot of time in the lower register, I'd suggest a different title. I had a feeling of 'rain' as I listened to it if that is of any help.

Thanks for sharing!

Gav

Gav Brown said:

Hi Kjell,

This is well-composed in your classical style, with perhaps a bit of an update on the harmony, which felt to me a little bit more in the 20th century pop-classical than I usually see you venture into. I listened to about half of it and skimmed through the remainder, which seemed of similar character. I would suggest that given how the piece stays in the same range throughout, you could express your ideas fully without needing the full length as you have written it, but perhaps that is just a matter of taste. One other thing - I usually do not comment on titles, but this one does seem to me to be mis-named. 'Caress of Winds' implies to me a light touch, yet the piece is somewhat heavier than that. Especially with the piano left hand spending a lot of time in the lower register, I'd suggest a different title. I had a feeling of 'rain' as I listened to it if that is of any help.

Thanks for sharing!

Gav

Thanks for your reply, Gav. As usual constructive reflections which I will think about. Winds in autumn are not light, can be very harsh, still caressing.

I do feel the caressing of the winds, especially toward the end, and they are lovely. On the whole the piece is very soothing and contemplative. But I agree with Gav that it goes on a bit too long. While there is nothing wrong with longer works/movements per se (I myself seem incapable of producing anything shorter than about seven minutes), in this case I agree that what is said here could be said in fewer measures. Perhaps you could create two pieces out of it. As you indicate it is a composite structure anyway, this seems to make sense. But as Gav also said, perhaps all this is just a matter of taste, and you are happy the way it is. and that is fine; the composer always has the last say.

Thank you very much Michael, I appreciate your comment as always.

Yes, music is not democratic, always the composer has the last word, but a clever composer certainly listens and take impressions from other people´s comments and reactions. After all, the composer does music mainly to give some beauty to other people.

Thanks again,

Kjell

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service