Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

There are many people still using Sibelius and while I would in no way recommend it anymore to new users, those who have already purchased it should use it to its full benefit.

A knowledge of which plugins are available, and what they do is essential to getting the most out of your version of Sibelius. There really is a wealth of available plugins, so please take a look at them.

This can have a profound effect on, and greatly improve, your composing and engraving efforts.

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

In Sibelius, plug-ins are extra features created using a programming language called ManuScript.

There are two kinds of plugins--shipping plugins which come with Sibelius, and downloadable plugins usually written by Sibelius users

Sibelius ships with about 150 plug-ins. These plug-ins are documented in the Sibelius Reference, and a list. for example, of the shipping plugins that come with Sib 6 is here:

'Sib. 6.2: Alphabetical (by name) List of Plugins Shipping in Sibelius 6 with Categories'

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/chat/chat.pl?com=thread&...

Sibelius plugins

https://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources/

The current list can be sorted by name, author, or category, and also, you can use the Search box to find a plugin if you know even a part of its name.

In Sibelius 7 and later, you can install plug-ins with File > Plug-ins > Install Plug-ins. You will need to know the category of the plug-in to find it for installation.

For instructions on installing these plug-ins in Sibelius versions prior to 7, please see: http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Last updated on May 14, 2018. There are 535 plug-ins on the page.

Views: 464

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Bob,

Oh I know you understand. But I'll try to make it clear for all, so speaking of originality here are some questions.

1)...As you often eschew any approval of technique and craft in composing, because it apparently leads to un-original thinking (it does not). What do you equate with originality? cacophony created with no musical sensibility?  Tbh, you are not the only one writing in that manner are you? and a LOT of other composers, very well known, do it EXCELLENTLY. There are some on this site who are terrific at composing in a modernist manner, can control their dissonance and make it yield into an intelligible work - one that has control and is all the more expressive for it. It might be worth your while checking them out because I feel you could learn from their example. I can think immediately of Julie Harris who has posted one of the best pieces I've heard here in a modernist style along with Lara Poe who has similarly posted brilliant work. Both girls have a formal education and boy it shows in their utterances doesn't it? We can all learn from their examples, especially me.

2).. You once said that you do not post scores because you have seen similar sold for hundreds and perhaps thousands of dollars thus implying your scores might be worth as much.  Well how much would the score to 'Loft music' set one back then? Is it for sale? I would very much like to read through it to see your 'craft' in action. Oh, and is there a refund option?What about a free sample for a buyer to ascertain if there is any music in there before full purchase?

3)....Do you think it is responsible advice to imply to young composers that the craft of music is less important, especially when it is clear that they need more technique in order to progress and to help find themselves? 

4)...Do you think that anybody who has learnt their craft gives a hoot to what you as a  composer thinks about any matters musical anyway? So if you answered question 2 I apologise for wasting my time...(apology accepted).. because I wouldn't download them for free.

I ask any young member of this forum aspiring to learn and even master the craft of composing to beware the stranger bearing inane platitudes, especially those dressed up in big important capital letters - they  mean absolutely nothing and have the potential to condemn you with faint praise. They are usually applied liberally and without critical faculty that is  based on a deep knowledge of the genres they purport to rejoice in. Paradoxically this stranger will praise on the one hand a track written within the confines of normal musical practice (even one might say un-original) and at other times disparage other musics written as pastiche or displaying some technical facility.

The implication that craft is not as important might well apply to a genius, but for most of us a little knowledge about how to do something is surely self explanatory. If you are a genius, you will find your way without and with craft, why take the risk and write in ignorance of yourself and your capabilities.

I did think of some plugins that might aid you in becoming more original....hopefully something here helps:

Disguise Score

http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?plugin=485

Makes a copy of a score, or of the music contained within a passage selection, deleting previous versions. It then optionally randomizes the pitches and text of the score and all the parts, effectively hiding the music while retaining its general structure.

And from a post I did on the Sib forum years ago:

You could use The Shuffle pitches plugin on your music, and then use the others suggested below and others to create new rhythms also. Plugins under Note Input--Transformations are usually good for this sort of stuff.

"Shuffle Pitches
Rewrites the selection so that the existing pitches of the notes are randomly redistributed,
changing the melodic contour in random ways but without introducing new pitches.
Select a passage and choose Note Input > Transformations > More > Shuffle Pitches. The
passage is rewritten in place.

---

Rotate Rhythms
Rewrites the selection so that the durations of the notes are shifted to the right by one note (so the
duration of the last note becomes the duration of the first, the duration of the first note becomes
the duration of the second, and so on), without changing the pitches of the notes.
Select a passage and choose Note Input > Transformations > More > Rotate Rhythms. The
passage is rewritten in place.

Rotate Rhythms and Pitches
Rewrites the selection so that both the durations and pitches of notes in the selection are shifted to
the right by one note (so the last note of the selection becomes the first note, the first note becomes
the second note, and so on).
Select a passage and choose Note Input > Transformations > More > Rotate Rhythms and
Pitches. The passage is rewritten in place.

Retrograde Pitches
Rewrites the selection so that the order of pitches is reversed (so the last pitch becomes the first,
the penultimate pitch becomes the second, and so on) without changing the durations of the notes.
Select a passage and choose Note Input > Transformations > Retrograde Pitches. The passage is
rewritten in place.

Retrograde Rhythms
Rewrites the selection so that the order of rhythms is reversed (so the duration of the last note
becomes the duration of the first, and so on) without changing the pitches of the notes.
Select a passage and choose Note Input > Transformations > Retrograde Rhythms. The passage
is rewritten in place.

Retrograde Rhythms and Pitches
Rewrites the selection so that both the order of pitches and rhythms is reversed.
Select a passage and choose Note Input > Transformations > Retrograde Rhythms and
Pitches. The passage is rewritten in place."

Thanks Bob

--
Bob Morabito

You could also try the Apply Series Plugin

http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?plugin=467

"This plugin is principally designed to help with serial composition but it can be used for other purposes, including mapping the rhythm of one stave to as set of pitches contained in another."

And there are newer plugins you might investigate.

Best I can do!!

Thanks Bob

https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Deleted for inappropriate content

Any way about those questions, are you man enough?

Still trying to provoke I see..and failing sorry to say.

What do you equate with originality?

The ability to write well formed good, never heard or rarely heard music outside the box, pleasing oneself as a composer first and foremost, and then hoping that others will also.

That covers it.

Well how much would the score to 'Loft music' set one back then? Is it for sale? I would very much like to read through it to see your 'craft' in action.

When the engraving is done, Id guess around $85-125. But I feel more that you want to see the score to learn how things are done, techniques you might not understand and are not able to incorporate into your works at this time., and want to learn them.. and also to post a tirade about all you feel thats wrong.

Even the recently removed from this forum Dave Dexter asked me for a score, when hes a musical illiterate and cant read. I felt he asked for you, as I know youre extremely close with him.

Do you think that anybody who has learnt their craft gives a hoot to what you as a  composer thinks about any matters musical anyway?

Well apparently YOU seem to spend an awful lot of time with what I say Mike, so you must give many "hoots" :)

And Im proud to say youre in good company as many others throughout the web--forums etc--thinks so also, which Im very grateful for, and many of them ARE writing original music.

You might also check out my Soundcloud page and the amounts of "likes " Ive received..theyre thankfully amazingly high considering the type of musical style I compose inwhich shows people are listening, which I very much appreciate

( BTW I did post about some more plugins to help you with your request to be original..any other way I can help let me know and Ill honestly consider it. Thanks so much.)

The bulk of your post isnt worthwhile to reply to, so I didnt. And I realize your immense pride is once again hurt with the quote you couldnt produce, and my preferring a version of a piece more than your DAW mockup for it, and even that past failed thing of yours where you were shown and taught what Notation software can do.

But your posts since yesterday are really attacking, unprofessional, and many off topic comments and Im surprised at you..but I guess I shouldnt be.

Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Mike Hewer said:

Bob,

Oh I know you understand. But I'll try to make it clear for all, so speaking of originality here are some questions.

1)...As you often eschew any approval of technique and craft in composing, because it apparently leads to un-original thinking (it does not). What do you equate with originality? cacophony created with no musical sensibility?  Tbh, you are not the only one writing in that manner are you? and a LOT of other composers, very well known, do it EXCELLENTLY. There are some on this site who are terrific at composing in a modernist manner, can control their dissonance and make it yield into an intelligible work - one that has control and is all the more expressive for it. It might be worth your while checking them out because I feel you could learn from their example. I can think immediately of Julie Harris who has posted one of the best pieces I've heard here in a modernist style along with Lara Poe who has similarly posted brilliant work. Both girls have a formal education and boy it shows in their utterances doesn't it? We can all learn from their examples, especially me.

2).. You once said that you do not post scores because you have seen similar sold for hundreds and perhaps thousands of dollars thus implying your scores might be worth as much.  Well how much would the score to 'Loft music' set one back then? Is it for sale? I would very much like to read through it to see your 'craft' in action. Oh, and is there a refund option?What about a free sample for a buyer to ascertain if there is any music in there before full purchase?

3)....Do you think it is responsible advice to imply to young composers that the craft of music is less important, especially when it is clear that they need more technique in order to progress and to help find themselves? 

4)...Do you think that anybody who has learnt their craft gives a hoot to what you as a  composer thinks about any matters musical anyway? So if you answered question 2 I apologise for wasting my time...(apology accepted).. because I wouldn't download them for free.

I ask any young member of this forum aspiring to learn and even master the craft of composing to beware the stranger bearing inane platitudes, especially those dressed up in big important capital letters - they  mean absolutely nothing and have the potential to condemn you with faint praise. They are usually applied liberally and without critical faculty that is  based on a deep knowledge of the genres they purport to rejoice in. Paradoxically this stranger will praise on the one hand a track written within the confines of normal musical practice (even one might say un-original) and at other times disparage other musics written as pastiche or displaying some technical facility.

The implication that craft is not as important might well apply to a genius, but for most of us a little knowledge about how to do something is surely self explanatory. If you are a genius, you will find your way without and with craft, why take the risk and write in ignorance of yourself and your capabilities.

hey, nice to see you again Kris, welcome to my leaving party, have a drink. As always, to the point in the most lucid and hilariously probing way. Of course you can just press a button too...see here...as some of those big words will be lost in addled addledness.

http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/lexikon-sonate-algorith...

What a jerk

Name calling Ray?

I believe thats against forum rules...

Please try and calm down.

Thanks Bob Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Ray Kemp said:

-deleted

LOL

Ray Kemp said:

Kristofer, you wear a pair of damn fine waders. The ability to stand in the middle of the river is really helpful :-)

Deleted for inappropriate content

It is because of you alone that I am leaving this forum soon, because quite frankly you disgust me with your cod-sanctimonious manner and ignorance

Unreal. More meltdown, sorry to say. Really unprofessional. And once again against forum rules.

Please try and calm down. Thanks

And the real reason as I see it is your pride has been hurt ONCE again...and thats something you simply cant seem to take.

Would have been easier to provide that seemingly non existent quote, and simply accept I liked the original version of a piece more than your DAW mockup..no shame in that.

And again that failed contest..well it simply fits right in with everything.

And yesterday when u asked Gav to address my posts, and that further got to you

Bye and all good luck to you--should any more plugins be posted to help with being original  I'll be sure to have someone contact you at Dexter's forum which I thought had been deserted by him, but now seems to be struggling back.

Thanks Bob Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Mike Hewer said:

Dear Mr Morabito,

Yada Yada Yada, replete with mis-spellings, syntax error and misunderstanding. Now that i think of it, I'm pretty sure I've heard music with similar traits somewhere on soundcloud.  Speaking of which, I mean wow so many likes etc, I'd trade all my awards and achievements for that...oh wait, no I wouldn't. Phew, nearly gave succour to a successful career in the virtual world whatever that means.

But to get to it...

I believe you are a public menace to matters musical and are downright irresponsible in your posted attitudes to the craft of music, most especially where younger composers are involved. It is because of you alone that I am leaving this forum soon, because quite frankly you disgust me with your cod-sanctimonious manner and ignorance. 

@Kris,

Will do sir.

Morabito tried to say...

What do you equate with originality?

The ability to write well formed good, never heard or rarely heard music outside the box, pleasing oneself as a composer first and foremost, and then hoping that others will also.

That covers it.

Well how much would the score to 'Loft music' set one back then? Is it for sale? I would very much like to read through it to see your 'craft' in action.

When the engraving is done, Id guess around $85-125. But I feel more that you want to see the score to learn how things are done, techniques you might not understand and are not able to incorporate into your works at this time., and want to learn them.. and also to post a tirade about all you feel thats wrong.

Even the recently removed from this forum Dave Dexter asked me for a score, when hes a musical illiterate and cant read. I felt he asked for you, as I know youre extremely close with me.

Do you think that anybody who has learnt their craft gives a hoot to what you as a  composer thinks about any matters musical anyway?

Well apparently YOU seem to spend an awful lot of time with what I say Mike, so you must give many "hoots" :)

And Im proud to say youre in good company as many others throughout the web--forums etc--thinks so also, which Im very grateful for, and many of them ARE writing original music.

You might also check out my Soundcloud page and the amounts of "likes " Ive received..theyre thankfully amazingly high which shows people are listening///

BTW I did post about some more plugins to help you be original..any other way I can help let me know and Ill honestly consider it. Thanjs so much.

The bulk of your post isnt worthwhile to reply to. And I realize your immense pride is once again hurt with the quote you couldnt produce, and my preferring a version of a piece more than your DAW mockup for it, and even that past failed thing of yours where you were shown and taughtwhat Notation software can do.

But your posts since yesterday are really attacking, unprofessional, and many off topic comments and Im surprised at you..but I guess I shouldnt be.

Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

For the time being I think it wise to stop comments on this topic and possibly reopen it again, later maybe cleaned up.

It really is a very valuable topic IMHO ..

I think its important to note that we've/Ive seen Mikes meltdowns before and one in particular earned him the nickname by another of "mini Dexter" because of the horrible profanity he used..and we should avoid that now at all costs as the forum really doesnt need all his stuff...

so Ill shut it down, possibly temporarily, and hope that helps and calms him and things down..

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service