Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello!!

I have a question for you all. I am using Sibelius 3, and I'm on the verge of purchasing Sibelius 6. But I kind of understood that Sibelius is not the best thing to work with? I have no knowledge about the market of files in which to create your music. Does anyone have this knowledge? I do like to have better sound for my stuff that I'd like to post on my page, but I don't know how.

Then there is another question. I'd like to put some sheet music on my page as well. I can make a PDF file of my scores, but how do I put them on my page? 

Thanks a lot for the help!!

Hyun Jung

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let me add and reiterate: music that sounds "real and live" today does not come from a notation program. Not really. Its gotten somewhat better but it does not sound even remotely real still. The _only_ way to make stuff that sounds truly live and real and pro is by investing a buttload of money. There are ways to get closer and not spend a ton, but ultimately it might fool some people who dont know live music at all, but its going to sound fake and non-organic to those of us that do. Notation program = for those of us working with live musicians and for those of us who just want to toy around with ideas and be able to hear voicings as we write them. Personally I prefer piano and sketching by hand with pencil. Then formulating the ideas with the DAW. Mostly because you can not ever expect that your sample libraries are going to play all the ideas you have in your mind the way you hear them, at least not if you have any experience with live players at all. So you end up having to "write to your samples" meaning you know you are limited to 7 or 8 articulations and performed *exactly* the same way every time within one instrument section. And each company that makes samples does it a tiny bit differently. SO, you need to really understand the fine points about the articulations available to you. One example would be that you need to know how to make crescendos (NOT with a volume change for that always sounds fake) by finding certain samples with them included (sounds best but you are limited to the type/duration of those cresc/decresc) or stuff that has advanced programming like VSL Velocity X-fade. And to do that you need enough experience understanding how the real instruments do it. And you can not do any of this in a notation program, not really.

So, you might like to have a score to write in, but you must remember the notation program should remain for notation and not for performance at all (some basic things might translate well directly from notation prog, but its very limited). You need a DAW (Digital Performer, Logic, Cubase, Sonar, Pro Tools, etc) and a MIDI controller keyboard (or some other type of controller if you are more familiar with something like a midi guitar, violin, EWI, etc), and then you need as much money as you can possibly afford dumped into sound libraries. There are lots of discussions on this forum about various libraries that are more and less expensive and ways to skirt around it all. I wish you the very best wishes on this all!

Excellent post, Chris.

I was going to mention that there might be some exceptions to your 'need a DAW and MIDI controller- I was thinking of Trance and Electronica, etc. But, when I think of examples of good music in those genres, it still sounds like live MIDI performances are happening, rather than ultra-rigid music from notation programs. ...So- nevermind. :)

Well Chris, you're right in each word and thought. I do my best with guitar pro 5 and free sound fonts, just to hear how would sound my musical ideas - and to have a demo. The result is better than to simply elaborating arrangements for a quartet with beautyfull harmony and melody, just for never hear it. But i really gets frustrated by listening to a mechanical sound.

I don't know much of musical technologies, you know there's so many options, and the fact that here where i live the goverment gets richer with tax, always made me stay far of all of this. Every stuff you need to make your music or anything else, gets 5 times more expensive. It's something absurd. But, do what?

I have to thank you all for expressing your strong conviction about the method of recording music. I begin to consider doing a modest investment on midi instruments, like a guitar and a keyboard, and trying get a new kind of experience with my creations.

Good luck with it Alpa!! We complain about how expensive the stuff is but, honestly, its a LOT LOT LOT cheaper than making music professionally in the studio 30 years ago. You used to have composer, orchestrator, arranger, music copyist, music engineer (meaning engineer who calculates spotting notes and tempo / meter maps for the composer team using slide rules and such), the whole studio cast of tracking, mixing and mastering engineer, assistants, staff, then the musicians would all be union here in the US where you would have to pay strictly and very complex and also for the conductor, orchestra contractor, etc, etc. then if something was not right during the session you had crash seminar of copyists come in all night and work out the details and make all new parts and then redo the session the next day. SO... yea it sucks having to pay for sample libraries and computers and some recording gear, but its so much cheaper than it was one generation ago. Unfortunately we also lose a lot as a result, a lot of humanism, a lot of humanity, and a lot of creative possibility as we are forced to work with sample libraries played with the "standard" articulations. (cant say HEY can you string players bounce some quarters on your strings while the trumpets make buzzing sounds? PLEASE?)

Now I guess where you are from Alpa there is some issues with government and it makes it hard, so I dont mean to make your situation small, even a little bit, because I know how terrible some governments are out there. And trust me, right now, the music scene in the USA is REALLY REALLY messed up, with less and less money coming to the composers, songwriters and musicians, and more and more money going to technology companies helping people download free music.

But I think no matter where you are, its still cheaper for one person by themself to make music on a professional produced level than it was in the 80s or earlier.

Thanks for your encouragement Chris, i must agree with you that producing music became more accessible today. If you have a computer, 50% of the work is done, the rest is by your account. And the technologic development is the great responsible for this. And also responsible for the paradox: progress versus decadence of almost everything on earth. 

If you want to figure it in a dialectical formula, I guess it should be:

1- Thesis - technological progress.
2- Antithesis - moral values decay.
3- Synthesis - the trivialization of ethics.
(just kidding!)

Dear all.

Thanks for all your replys. So, now I have to think about what's best. There are a lot of possibilities I can think  of. 

Best regards, Hyun Jung

I use Sibelius 6, it's great! For me the best thing is that you will be able to create clean scores in no time, ever had problems with overlapping lines, symbols, text and even staves? Just select a passage (I normally select the entire document) then go to Layout - Optimize Staff Spacing. It works like magic. Another thing is that Sibelius will automatically create all of the parts of your piece within the score file, so no more extracting parts!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Merritt.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service