Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I'm writing a piece for solo violin, and I was wondering if violinists would prefer fingerings written in by the composer.  Or would they prefer to add their own as they read through it?  I know fingerings can be a personal thing for each performer.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Views: 357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Useful indeed. The one with Oistrakh is absolutely hypnotic. One of my favorite violinists, espcially love his Sibelius Concerto rendition with the Cleveland under Szell. I don't know if he used Ravel's fingerings or not on Tzigane, but his own fingers were flying at warp speed. Thanks for the link, Ondib, I greatly enjoyed it.

Ondib Olmnilnlolm said:

This website is useful in exploring the issue with regard to Ravel:

Ravel Tzigane
D major, Cat.No.76
Written: 1924
Composer: Ravel (Maurice Ravel), 1875 - 1937, period: Modern

http://violinmark.com/index.php/component/vmark/?controller=scompos...!2JctdC4IwFIDhvzRPdbFgNyZmMUYK_1XHuPBMS2ebANrNfX9HlC897tzlgsz7qwnuEPGApxLEvKqazOcodeoKXJ5uM2i6hA_26UYAKe67106axPfCJIVoKDIVfG4e_2iDVQkV23fd8H2wvWv2zRqMKxveLha5TFjm3p34gM_3

Nope. Unless there's some extended technique involved, index finger is labeled 1st, pinky is 4th. That's it.

The V is bowing. An upstroke, specifically.

michael diemer said:

You mean violonists don't use their thumbs?

Oh yeah, up-bows and down-bows, I forgot about those. I do know about positions also; in fact I bought a violin from a pawn shop just to see if what I wrote was playable - mostly for double stops etc. I must have forgot about the symbol for that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service