Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Here's a bit of fun.

My 10 year old son wanted to make a Star Wars themed movie during Lockdown. We filmed it on a phone in the garden and edited it added effects etc. He wanted to share it with all his friends on Youtube and I realised that if I just added Star Wars score it would get blocked for copyright.

But he had set a date for release to his friends so we were on a deadline.

I've scored independent films before but oddly this was the most challenging and interesting experiment.

The film is just under 8 minutes long and not including the main and end title it has 17 separate cues.

The longest cue is less than 30 seconds long.

Over 2 nights (9 hours in total) I scored the movie. I imported the final edit into Logic and set markers for each of the cues. There was no time to fix things so I just played in live and then, unless it was truly awful, I moved to the next instrument and carried on. 

The end result is not great in terms of mixing, and there is a lot I would change but it was really interesting to write under that pressure. Also such short cues don't allow a lot of melodic development.

Also for speed I used Garritan Instant Orchestra as it is a lot less memory hungry than some sample libraries I use but the strings in particular are very synthetic.

Anyone else written under major time pressure and if so what were the results?

Here is the movie:

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Nigel,

A delight! Tell your son I want him on my next secret mission!

Gav

Very well done on all aspects!  You must have production experience?

Thanks!

Gav Brown said:

Hi Nigel,

A delight! Tell your son I want him on my next secret mission!

Gav

Yes I used to work in advertising

Thanks

Ingo Lee said:

Very well done on all aspects!  You must have production experience?

WOW! A pair of movie makers on the road!

A wonderful piece and excellent sound track and effects. Are you perchance a member of a movie-making club/society?

Full credit to all the cast and producers. What stands out is the quality of the video editing. Each shot seems just right and the right length. You could teach our BBC a thing or two!

As to your closing question, I've worked under pressure at times, also working with a local (amateur) movie-making group and a dance troupe.

So full disclosure - I did study film making as part of my creative degree and I have directed and shot commercials when I worked in advertising. I don't really have time to commit to that (and what spare time I do have I'd rather be making music!)

It was a fun project to do and amazing what quality you can get just shooting handheld on a phone!

Well that was a bit of fun!

I was concentrating on the music which is great BTW, works with the visuals to enhance the mood.

Most times when watching a film you hardly notice the music even though it is an integral part.

Thanks Michael,

That was the toughest challenge - on the one hand you really want to underscore - but trying to write in that idiomatic John Williams style - it was much more melodic, but had to be simple in structure so as not to distract too much. The toughest cue was the battle where I started out with something more bombastic with heavy celli ostinatos but it detracted from the blaster sounds so I had to pair it back to something which progressed but didnt have such a dominant structure.

Michael Lofting said:

Well that was a bit of fun!

I was concentrating on the music which is great BTW, works with the visuals to enhance the mood.

Most times when watching a film you hardly notice the music even though it is an integral part.

Well done Nigel!

I'll bet your son really enjoyed himself making it. A great little father/son project.

I have a few video editing programs but admit to not knowing much about the process. Would love to learn some of the techniques involved.

Very cool.  A fun project too, I bet!  The music was very much star-wars-esque.  Loved it! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service