Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

When I was growing up, I used to listen to and try and play Chopin and Liszt.

So around 2005 ( as with the idea of trying to write a piano concerto) I thought, I would have a go at trying to write like they did.

I think I captured the essence of that style, maybe not technically but I gave it a go and this was the outcome.

I hope you enjoy it.

Rhapsody No1 (In the style of the old masters)

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This item works well. Definitely a bravura concert piece. I can see your attachment to Chopin with a delicate whiff of Liszt here and there. Little comment because it's good, easy to listen to but would need Lisztian endurance to play! 

Only problem was I thought the ending was a bit abrupt. You recap the main theme but without any coda. Would the audience sense a signal to applaud.

You declare it as 'in the style of the old masters' so it's derivative but as such, a great piece. You obviously absorbed a lot about piano no matter if you did stop playing, a good visual sense of chord layout and the keyboard, what makes up a bravura piece.

Thanks Dane, I don't pretend to know what I am doing technically but I do try to stick to a formula when I am trying to write in the classical style. It was just a case of listening and trying to emulate. 

We all do that with any style we listen to and I am sure we have all written music way above our playing ability or at least I have lol.

I'm at glad you at least liked the piece and I do know I still have a lot to learn and the best part is I am in a fair position to at least give it a go.

Thanks for your review :)

Dane Aubrun said:

This item works well. Definitely a bravura concert piece. I can see your attachment to Chopin with a delicate whiff of Liszt here and there. Little comment because it's good, easy to listen to but would need Lisztian endurance to play! 

Only problem was I thought the ending was a bit abrupt. You recap the main theme but without any coda. Would the audience sense a signal to applaud.

You declare it as 'in the style of the old masters' so it's derivative but as such, a great piece. You obviously absorbed a lot about piano no matter if you did stop playing, a good visual sense of chord layout and the keyboard, what makes up a bravura piece.

I love it, Keith. Bravo and applause. Sounds as a live performance. The main theme is gorgeous and the variations work fine. The ending could be improved, maybe add some surprise there as commented above.

Very well done.

Kjell

Thank you Kjell, very kind words and I am glad you like it so much. This is what composing is all about, bringing enjoyment :)

Kjell Prytz said:

I love it, Keith. Bravo and applause. Sounds as a live performance. The main theme is gorgeous and the variations work fine. The ending could be improved, maybe add some surprise there as commented above.

Very well done.

Kjell

I love how the first section transitions into the second. That was masterfully done. And great playing! (I'm assuming this is a real performance. If not, one heck of a mockup, and a phenomenal sampled piano!).

It is very much in the style of Chopin. The only criticism I have, and it is minor, is that the dum-da-dum pattern got to be a bit tiring. But I usually have the same reaction to much of Chopin's music, so in this regard it is quite authentic! This style has its ever-present flourishes and ornaments, so it is not out of place, this is more a personal reaction that any real flaw.

Thanks Michael. I cannot play to this standard unfortunately and I basically wrote this by step recording the notes.

This particular piano I used was Spitfire's Hans Zimmer Piano which I love and use all the time.

I really did try hard to get Chopin's style in the piece as I think he had a lovely way of composing for the piano.

I am glad you liked it and thanks for your views, much appreciated :)

michael diemer said:

I love how the first section transitions into the second. That was masterfully done. And great playing! (I'm assuming this is a real performance. If not, one heck of a mockup, and a phenomenal sampled piano!).

It is very much in the style of Chopin. The only criticism I have, and it is minor, is that the dum-da-dum pattern got to be a bit tiring. But I usually have the same reaction to much of Chopin's music, so in this regard it is quite authentic! This style has its ever-present flourishes and ornaments, so it is not out of place, this is more a personal reaction that any real flaw.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service