Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi. Some of you probably know that I'm presently trying to prepare my symphony on Finale, ready for dispatch. However, it can be a real brain fryer at times, so I often take the day off, like today (as it's the weekend) and compose. I've recently started a full Requiem Mass. I would like to know what you think of the first five minutes of it.

Views: 66

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kris,

You're not alone in your opinion about the percussion. I'm taking it out, but I'm leaving the timps in.

Kristofer Emerig said:
All in all, it's beautiful work Simon, with some signature Godden harmonic trajectories which are becoming recognizable to me as a cogent and unique style. Honestly, some of the percussion felt intrusive to me, but I'm not sure why. It might be that I don't like percussion in general, or the manner in which it is mixed or produced in this instance. Anyway, I don't want it to sound as though I don't like the work - I do, and the thoughts on the percussion are probably more concerned with my personal taste than your composition's merit.
Is that you Craig? Where have you been?

soundwrx said:
Hi Simon,
It's been quite a while but I finally got over here to listen to your 'Requiem(so far)'.
The mood and overall atmosphere of the piece is beautifully rendered. I feel the choral sections as they sit so well in the mix and I particularly like how the music is pushed along with its sympathetic pulse in the pizzicato bass, simple but effective. I found the balance in the dissonance at times a little jarring and wondered where the Beethoven(esque) string fragments came from but once introduced they really worked well for me.

I really enjoyed the mes-en-scene created by the music theatre of your Requiem.

Thanks for the share.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service