Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Regarding the nuances of proper notation, I have only learned a few things... I do know to always give wind instruments rests to breathe, and that a harp diagram is only necessary if the music strays greatly from the key, and recently I learned that proper notation of rests is to first finish the beat, then write the largest value first. But that's all I know. So I either need answers to the following questions or a checklist with explanations for producing a professional level score.  

Question #1

I've read differing opinions on notating bowing for strings. It seems some think it should be a musician's choice unless specifically seeking a certain effect, and then others argue that a key detail of classical music is to meticulously notate every detail. So which is acceptable?

Question #2

I've found that I often want just a single note in a melody gently played but don't know of how to notate it without putting two dynamics markings in a row. Is there an opposite to the accent mark that I am unaware of?

Question #3

Should a proper score include a title page or is that only for publication?

Question #4

• Is there anything else that I don't know about that should be considered in polishing a score?

Views: 260

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dave, I’ve published an opinion. My opinion. If you or anyone deem it irrelevant please ignore.

Yes, but if it's an irrelevant opinion - given the question was specifically about notation from a developing composer rather than "how can I write music Ray will like" - I find it hard to ignore. Aren't there enough hair-tossing "it's my OPINION" members without adding to their numbers?

That's perplexing, Ray. I've always understood a dirge to be funeral music. The only modern use that I know of is the New Orleans Jazz Funerals. And of those modern dirges that I know, I find them either incredibly beautiful or just downright entertaining. (In the entertaining category, look up Bunk Johnson's 1945 recording of Nearer My God to Thee and you'll find a hymn played so slow the players sound like they're going to fall over any minute... )

Additionally, I have also understood requiems to be dirges.

So I am not clear on why someone wouldn't want to compose a dirge.

I rest my case.

OK, Dave and Ray, that's enough of the "dirge" discussion.  MM seems like a very conscientious and serious composer, eager to learn and asking great questions.  Let's help him, not confuse him. 

MM, don't pay any attention to those two.  They just got off topic.  DIrges truly can be wonderful.  I look forward to listening to the Bunk Johnson recording you mentioned.  Thanks so much for your enthusiasm!!

Exactly! I wanted to get away from it and focus on notation, the original point, which I was trying to help out with. Anyway, this isn't helping, delete if you wish.

Julie Harris said:

OK, Dave and Ray, that's enough of the "dirge" discussion.  MM seems like a very conscientious and serious composer, eager to learn and asking great questions.  Let's help him, not confuse him. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

donate

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service