Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello, Composers. I've just joined the "Composers' Forum" site.

Here's one of the many Quarter-tone Pieces I've written.

It's my 1st submission to the "Music Dissection" Forum.

Thank-you for listening.

Views: 1185

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Score, please!   Do you use scordatura in the strings, or just indicate microtones on each note?   Playing microtones on woodwinds, strings and brass is not hard, but on piano?   Xylophone?   How?   The old mean-tone organs had extra keys for enharnonic spellings

but I have yet to see a piano with microtone keys.  

My students have studied micro-tones, alternate tunings, and so forth, but rarely found a real life use for them - except once!   One of my students lived in UAE half time and North Carolina half time before he went off to Cleveland Institute of Music.  He wrote a "Call to Prayer" that imitated what he heard from their apartment in Abu Dhabi ... by necessity, he learned to write for micro tones - and it was very effective!

I thought your piece really did work as a piece of music, irregardless of the microtones.  I would like to see the score, though, before I have any further comments.

Well, they HAVE to exist. I mean, Alois Haba wrote for them, and it was almost 100 years ago.

Ha! I can "see" your attraction to creating quarter tone music. This is fun... and I'd love to see the score. I'm looking forward to hearing more. :)

Awesome, Greg!   Where did you find that picture?    Whoa, I have to hide that before the kids start coming this afternoon.  EVERYONE will want to write for that piano!!!!   This is way cool ....

Tell us more about Alois Haba ....

Greg Brus said:

Well, they HAVE to exist. I mean, Alois Haba wrote for them, and it was almost 100 years ago.

Google "quarter tone piano", some 2nd or 3rd result.

As for Haba, I don't find him particularly interesting... sounds mostly like Mozart on an out-of-tune piano. There's so many other composers that use microtones in a way that actually make sense.

Hello Mr. Kemp. There are a variety of orchestral instruments built as quarter-tone instruments, though I doubt that there have been many manufactured. Of course, I wouldn't imagine many of today's composers are unaware of non 12-ET, so I would hardly be expecting to expose modern composers to something "new" by sharing a quarter-tone piece with them. Thanks for listening!

Raymond Kemp said:

Scott, welcome to the forum,

okay! you've created and presented this piece where standard? orchestral instruments are playing quarter tones (except the snare drum) BTW Morricone managed to make such composition interesting using normal (my definition of) tuning LOL. What now? Your recording was interesting, I've listened to it, I'm now moving on back to the real world. Have I discovered anything new? No. Do I use micro tuning myself? Yes, as a tool to make pro vsti sound semi-pro LOL.

I've not been called "sissy ears" for nothing.

Ray

Hello Angus. You've answered your questioned in part with it's follow-up sentence. Yes, I also do seek a "familiar sound" often times when composing in QT. Accessibility will help QT find more acceptance to those unfamiliar with the additional 12 tones. True, I would imagine there aren't too many musicians willing to play QT music for a variety of reasons. I personally don't know any, but I'm a recluse. LOL. What I find in QT music is a wider palette of tones that can be manipulated in a variety of ways not only as passing tones, but in the formation of interesting chords and other progressions/structures depending on the liberties taken while composing. Thanks for listening!

Angus Davison said:

Hey Scott,

I'm interested to know, what draws you to quarter tone music? I mean, often people go to quarter tone music as a way of finding some sound the couldn't find in the good ol' 12 note system... but you seem to have gone for quite a familiar sound in this piece? 

I imagine there also aren't that many musicians willing to play quarter tone music either? Or have you found some? I hear it's very difficult to play...

What do you get in quarter tone music that you feel you can't find in in the twelve note system? 

Angus

Hello Julie. Standard tuning with the string section. Of course, the Violin Family (and "fretless" Viol Family in the case of the Bass Viol) can easily play any pitch required of them. QT Pianos have been built, but there are QT Piano Pieces been played by 2 Pianists using a normally tuned Piano and another Piano tuned a quarter-tone off. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, I am not able to share the score at this time. It remains as a rough draft that would take consider time and effort to revise up to appropriate standards for a learned musician to be respectful of. Thanks for listening!

Julie Harris said:

Score, please!   Do you use scordatura in the strings, or just indicate microtones on each note?   Playing microtones on woodwinds, strings and brass is not hard, but on piano?   Xylophone?   How?   The old mean-tone organs had extra keys for enharnonic spellings, but I have yet to see a piano with microtone keys.  

My students have studied micro-tones, alternate tunings, and so forth, but rarely found a real life use for them - except once!   One of my students lived in UAE half time and North Carolina half time before he went off to Cleveland Institute of Music.  He wrote a "Call to Prayer" that imitated what he heard from their apartment in Abu Dhabi ... by necessity, he learned to write for micro tones - and it was very effective!

I thought your piece really did work as a piece of music, irregardless of the microtones.  I would like to see the score, though, before I have any further comments.

Hello Janet. Thank-you! I have more QT Pieces as well as "normal" pieces (LOL) of which I definitely have more of. Yes, writing for QT is fun. I also have a few 6th-tone Pieces as well. Thanks for listening!

Janet Spangenberg said:

Ha! I can "see" your attraction to creating quarter tone music. This is fun... and I'd love to see the score. I'm looking forward to hearing more. :)

Hello Greg. There are actually some really interesting pieces by Alois Hába as well as some clunkers, like his QT Guitar Pieces. Some of his Nonets are really cool as well as other works he composed. I don't think he "sounds mostly like Mozart on an out-of-tune piano," but of course your entitled to your opinion.  8-)

Greg Brus said:

Google "quarter tone piano", some 2nd or 3rd result.

As for Haba, I don't find him particularly interesting... sounds mostly like Mozart on an out-of-tune piano. There's so many other composers that use microtones in a way that actually make sense.

I should probably mention that while string section is indeed "fretless", playing quarter tones (and smaller microtones) is VERY difficult. Especially on the violin.

Hello Greg. It's incredibly harder to sing them!  LOL!

Greg Brus said:

I should probably mention that while string section is indeed "fretless", playing quarter tones (and smaller microtones) is VERY difficult. Especially on the violin.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service