Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Contest: THE 4 ELEMENTS: DEADLINE TO SUBMIT ENTRIES HAS PASSED, CONTEST CLOSED, VOTING TO BEGIN SOON!!

Hi Composers’ Forum members, as you know, the 4 elements are earth, air, fire, and water. For this proposed contest, you will write a piece of music of no more than 2 minutes duration based on one of these elements. Any instrumentation, any style of music. If the contest is a go, I will give 3 months for interested composers to submit their entries to me, which I will then put up anonymously. Voting will be by the membership of this site. You can submit entries for more than one element. An MP3 or link to a soundcloud/youtube/etc will be necessary. A PDF of the score is highly desirable, but not required. In order for this contest to be a go, 10 composers need to express interest by Sunday, Jan. 21 at 5 pm EST. To express interest, reply to this thread or send me a message. Please indicate in your expression of interest what element or elements you think you might want to compose for (you can change this later). Please note that I do not need any music at this time, just an expression of interest. I have run these contests before, they are a lot of fun and a good way to get feedback about your music from your peers, hope you can join us!

Views: 4612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Stephen and Happy New Year to you too! We now have 12 entrants, with 3 commits to Water, 1 commit to Earth, 2 commits to Fire, 1 commit to either Fire or Water, 1 commit to either Fire, Water, or Earth, and 4 general commits (can be changed)

I'm in pending some worthwhile inspiration...in 3 months that shouldn't be an issue. Probably submit a composition for each of the four.

I'm a solid "maybe" for this. Definitely interested. I have several other composing deadlines and goals for Jan-Mar, but if I get that magical combination of inspiration and time, I'll do something for solo piano, and the element of surprise. Just kidding. I'll probably go with water or air.

I am interested. I will submit a piece about water.

I've been working on a string quartet titled Fire for a month now, so yes please, I'm in.

Thanks Richard and Ian, I'll go ahead and add you to list of contestants, please just let me know for sure by the deadline of Sun. Jan 21 at pm EST! We now have 14 entrants, with 4 commits to Water, 2 commits to Earth, 3 commits to Fire, 2 commits to Air, 1 commit to either Water or Air, 1 commit to either Fire or Water, 1 commit to either Fire, Water, or Earth, and 4 general commits (can be changed)

Thanks Mark and Rob! We now have 16 entrants, with 5 commits to Water, 2 commits to Earth, 4 commits to Fire, 2 commits to Air, 1 commit to either Water or Air, 1 commit to either Fire or Water, 1 commit to either Fire, Water, or Earth, and 4 general commits (can be changed)

Can it be a song?  I wrote a song that covers all four elements.  I also wrote all the music for it.  I'm not sure how long it is though.  I think it might be more than 2 minute long. In fact, I'm sure it is. I could create an abbreviated version of it.  As it is now it has a standard chorus after verses about each element.  So just playing the chorus four times will probably take a full minute.  If I remove the chorus entirely I might be able to cut the rest of song back to 2 min.  But I'm not sure what it will sound like without the chorus.

I could also cut the song down by just singing the first verses of the first element and ending with the chorus.  And then just not include the other three elements.  The music is the same from there on out.  The only thing that changes at that point are the lyrics.

I'm hoping to record this song soon anyway.  So let me know if songs are permitted.

Hi

Ok, I'm intersted - Earth

CD

Hi James, songs are permitted. If you can get it on Youtube, which allows you to create a link that plays back at a given start-point, then there's no need to split up the piece or re-compose it, you just create 4 separate links, one for where in the piece each element begins. We can also include the entire piece along with your entry so that anyone who wants to hear the whole work can do so. I suppose other music sites like Soundcloud may have a similar link-to-start-point feature. If you don't have such access, then I can upload it to my Youtube account and create the links, I just need to know from you what the start points are. I will delete it off my Youtube after the contest ends. Let me know if you have any additional questions or would like to be added to the list of entrants

I am interested in composing a small piece like this (fire element)- thank you for suggesting it. william

Thanks Colin and William! We now have 18 entrants, with 5 commits to Water, 3 commits to Earth, 4 commits to Fire, 2 commits to Air, 1 commit to either Water or Air, 1 commit to either Fire or Water, 1 commit to either Fire, Water, or Earth, and 5 general commits (can be changed)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service