Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Contest: THE 4 ELEMENTS: DEADLINE TO SUBMIT ENTRIES HAS PASSED, CONTEST CLOSED, VOTING TO BEGIN SOON!!

Hi Composers’ Forum members, as you know, the 4 elements are earth, air, fire, and water. For this proposed contest, you will write a piece of music of no more than 2 minutes duration based on one of these elements. Any instrumentation, any style of music. If the contest is a go, I will give 3 months for interested composers to submit their entries to me, which I will then put up anonymously. Voting will be by the membership of this site. You can submit entries for more than one element. An MP3 or link to a soundcloud/youtube/etc will be necessary. A PDF of the score is highly desirable, but not required. In order for this contest to be a go, 10 composers need to express interest by Sunday, Jan. 21 at 5 pm EST. To express interest, reply to this thread or send me a message. Please indicate in your expression of interest what element or elements you think you might want to compose for (you can change this later). Please note that I do not need any music at this time, just an expression of interest. I have run these contests before, they are a lot of fun and a good way to get feedback about your music from your peers, hope you can join us!

Views: 4712

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hum,

I have water half written. I've done some one minute pieces that have been carried out by folks who are producing the 60x60 thing. It's funny to have a "concert" all over Europe, but it's a minute piece. OH my, I HAVE and Earth piece, although it's done in sound collage.! Not 2 minutes, how ever. Maybe I could condense? Is that legal?

Here is the right place. Thank you for inviting me. I am choosing water first.

Thanks Canary! We now have 56 entrants, with 15 commits to Water, 8 commits to Earth, 10 commits to Fire, 6 commits to Air, and the rest general commits. The commits can be changed at any time.

p.s. I am familiar with 60x60, put a piece in years ago. Was fun, though I didn't make the cut. Maybe you could share something about it in the Contests forum at some point -

Hi  Emily, it's ok to submit a piece a bit over 2 minutes if it's already composed. Anyone composing a new work I ask to try to keep it under 2 minutes if possible. The reason is that over two minutes, soundfiles start to get bigger than the forum allows me to post (7 mb) and I have to upload the file to my YouTube page., which takes longer (I delete the Youtube after the contest is over). Also, I think 2 minutes is a good amount of time for a contest voter to listen to, not too long. Since you have already composed one work, go ahead and use that as your submission

Roger S. joins us, thanks! We now have 57 entrants, with 15 commits to Water, 8 commits to Earth, 10 commits to Fire, 6 commits to Air, and the rest general commits. The commits can be changed at any time.

BTW, how many "winners" will be announced? Top three for each element? Runners-up? Just asking.

Hi William, there will indeed be a top three for each element, then the winners of each element will be gathered together and presented as a group in a pinned post atop the site. I use a point system, based on the voting, to assign who wins, and I'll publish that for each entry, plus any comments the entrants receive from voters on each piece

I am definitely interested. Element of choice: Air. 

Thanks Ilko! We now have 58 entrants, with 15 commits to Water, 8 commits to Earth, 10 commits to Fire, 7 commits to Air, and the rest general commits. The commits can be changed at any time.

Woop! Sounds like fun, I'll do it :)

I'll prob give AIR a shot.

Thanks Stu! We now have 59 entrants, with 15 commits to Water, 8 commits to Earth, 10 commits to Fire, 8 commits to Air, and the rest general commits. The commits can be changed at any time.

I will enter with FIRE

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service