Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Contest: THE 4 ELEMENTS: DEADLINE TO SUBMIT ENTRIES HAS PASSED, CONTEST CLOSED, VOTING TO BEGIN SOON!!

Hi Composers’ Forum members, as you know, the 4 elements are earth, air, fire, and water. For this proposed contest, you will write a piece of music of no more than 2 minutes duration based on one of these elements. Any instrumentation, any style of music. If the contest is a go, I will give 3 months for interested composers to submit their entries to me, which I will then put up anonymously. Voting will be by the membership of this site. You can submit entries for more than one element. An MP3 or link to a soundcloud/youtube/etc will be necessary. A PDF of the score is highly desirable, but not required. In order for this contest to be a go, 10 composers need to express interest by Sunday, Jan. 21 at 5 pm EST. To express interest, reply to this thread or send me a message. Please indicate in your expression of interest what element or elements you think you might want to compose for (you can change this later). Please note that I do not need any music at this time, just an expression of interest. I have run these contests before, they are a lot of fun and a good way to get feedback about your music from your peers, hope you can join us!

Views: 4463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I get your point John but as long as the composition is actually by the composer, they can enter it if they so wish. As discussed, the timeframe may shorten anyway

I like this idea!

I'm in. Any element. Not sure which. Most likely fire. Thanks!

Thanks Hunter, Jon, and Nancy! We now have 32 entrants, with 8 commits to Water, 5 commits to Earth, 6 commits to Fire, 5 commits to Air, 1 commit to either Air or Fire, 1 commit to either Water or Air, 1 commit to either Fire or Water, 1 commit to either Fire, Water, or Earth, and 11 general commits (can be changed).

Totally down for this: water

Thanks Tyler! We now have 33 entrants, with 9 commits to Water, 5 commits to Earth, 6 commits to Fire, 5 commits to Air, 1 commit to either Air or Fire, 1 commit to either Water or Air, 1 commit to either Fire or Water, 1 commit to either Fire, Water, or Earth, and 11 general commits (can be changed).

I would like to be involved, but I don't know if my teaching and freelance schedule will permit. If I do submit, it would probably be water. (I've already done fire.)

Thanks Stephen, I'll put you in the entrants list, just let me know before the deadline of Jan 21 at 5 pm EST if you can't make it! We now have 34 entrants, with 10 commits to Water, 5 commits to Earth, 6 commits to Fire, 5 commits to Air, 1 commit to either Air or Fire, 1 commit to either Water or Air, 1 commit to either Fire or Water, 1 commit to either Fire, Water, or Earth, and 11 general commits (can be changed).

I would love to take part! Fire and water seem to have good music potential in my mind.

Thanks Joshua! We now have 35 entrants, with 11 commits to Water, 5 commits to Earth, 7 commits to Fire, 5 commits to Air, 1 commit to either Air or Fire, 1 commit to either Water or Air, 1 commit to either Fire or Water, 1 commit to either Fire, Water, or Earth, and 11 general commits (can be changed).

Hi Gav,

I haven't been on this forum for a very long time.  I'm more of a songwriter than a composer.  The main reason I responded was because I got an email for a contest for Earth, Air, Fire, and Water, which just happens to be the main thesis of the song I'm currently working on.   In any case, this forum appears to be more about instrumental composition. Watching how many entries you are getting I thought I might suggest having multiple categories/winners?  One for each element?  And maybe a fifth category/winner for general multiple elements.

You might also then consider allowing single composers to enter up to five pieces if they want.  One for each element, and a general composition for any multiple elements they choose.   And then just make it so each composer is free to enter either just a single piece, or clear up to five pieces (one for each category) if they want.

Just a thought. 

I mean, you originally hoped to get 10 entries, and your already almost approaching 40.  Considering how fast this thread grew I would suspect that you'll be getting quite a few more as well.

Hi James, I do intend to split the voting out by element types, although I am not sure about a 5th category, which right now would only have one entrant - you. I don't want to expand the contest from the dimensions described in the initial post, but will try to accommodate anything which comes along that is not a perfect fit.

The forum is not limited to instrumental works, though many of the composers here are instrumentalists (myself included). Personally I would love to see more works with vocals!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,

Gav

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service