Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Contest: THE 4 ELEMENTS: DEADLINE TO SUBMIT ENTRIES HAS PASSED, CONTEST CLOSED, VOTING TO BEGIN SOON!!

Hi Composers’ Forum members, as you know, the 4 elements are earth, air, fire, and water. For this proposed contest, you will write a piece of music of no more than 2 minutes duration based on one of these elements. Any instrumentation, any style of music. If the contest is a go, I will give 3 months for interested composers to submit their entries to me, which I will then put up anonymously. Voting will be by the membership of this site. You can submit entries for more than one element. An MP3 or link to a soundcloud/youtube/etc will be necessary. A PDF of the score is highly desirable, but not required. In order for this contest to be a go, 10 composers need to express interest by Sunday, Jan. 21 at 5 pm EST. To express interest, reply to this thread or send me a message. Please indicate in your expression of interest what element or elements you think you might want to compose for (you can change this later). Please note that I do not need any music at this time, just an expression of interest. I have run these contests before, they are a lot of fun and a good way to get feedback about your music from your peers, hope you can join us!

Views: 4625

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Martin, William, John, and Li! We now have 26 entrants, with 7 commits to Water, 5 commits to Earth, 5 commits to Fire, 4 commits to Air, 1 commit to either Air or Fire, 1 commit to either Water or Air, 1 commit to either Fire or Water, 1 commit to either Fire, Water, or Earth, and 8 general commits (can be changed). NOTE - Several have mentioned the timeframe as being longer than needed. After the deadline to express interest has passed on Jan 21 at 5 pm EST, I will come back to this thread and we can discuss shortening it. This happens frequently with this type of contest, and I’ve altered the timeframe before, so no problem!

Could be interesting. I think I’ll do Air.

Hi Ryan, I don't want to reveal the music until after the contest begins, so I am copying your link offsite and deleting it out of your original post. There won't be a need to send it again, I've got it

Ryan Kunkel said:

This is for Fire.  It's in my heart, it radiates splendor universally, and I so have fervor to this cause.

Thanks Lennart! We now have 27 entrants, with 7 commits to Water, 5 commits to Earth, 5 commits to Fire, 5 commits to Air, 1 commit to either Air or Fire, 1 commit to either Water or Air, 1 commit to either Fire or Water, 1 commit to either Fire, Water, or Earth, and 8 general commits (can be changed).

Folks don't want to wait until the end of April to find out if the piece they've already written is the winner?  

Hi John, once the deadline is passed, I will post back on this thread about the possibility of shortening the timeframe. If all agree, it will be a go. This often happens with these kinds of contests, so is an expected issue

John Driscoll said:

Folks don't want to wait until the end of April to find out if the piece they've already written is the winner?  

Great idea! I'm in, not sure which element to pick yet.

I'll join. Water, likely.

Thanks Kent and Artifex! We now have 29 entrants, with 8 commits to Water, 5 commits to Earth, 5 commits to Fire, 5 commits to Air, 1 commit to either Air or Fire, 1 commit to either Water or Air, 1 commit to either Fire or Water, 1 commit to either Fire, Water, or Earth, and 9 general commits (can be changed).

Well, it's my view that if we're letting folks take three months on a 2-minute piece, people should be expected to submit new work. This is a composer's forum after all...

Gav Brown said:

Hi John, once the deadline is passed, I will post back on this thread about the possibility of shortening the timeframe. If all agree, it will be a go. This often happens with these kinds of contests, so is an expected issue

John Driscoll said:

I get your point John but as long as the composition is actually by the composer, they can enter it if they so wish. As discussed, the timeframe may shorten anyway

I like this idea!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service