Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi All,

Well having talked the talk a bit too much on this forum, I thought it only fair to walk the walk again and put my head on the block. With thanks to Kristofer, H.S and Nate for re-awakening my passion for Fugue, I offer the 2nd of a planned 12 preludes and fugues for piano. Two others are written, but not in Sibelius yet.

Please don't expect Bach here, I have adapted the forms to suit my own purposes, but I have tried to keep the spiritual essence of his music in mine, albeit in a modern language. It's about 5'.30" long

Ok, I've now got my hard hat on...comment away if you wish.....

Views: 810

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike, the piece is growing on me I have to say... the third time through I am beginning to acquire a taste. I can start to get into this for real at about measure 18 where the staccato motif comes in aggressively.

I think due to the complexity of the piece, it may take me a few runs through the work to understand it. I think also at that point the harmony starts to become slightly less dissonant and more consonant for my tastes.

Not saying I'm completely sold yet... but it is growing on me. Perhaps in my situation it is an acquired taste that takes time.

Hi Igneous,

I had to count how many of the smallest note value there were in each bar and then create time sigs like 45/32 etc. After input it was a question of beaming correctly and as you said, eliminating rests. 

Fascinating to hear your take on influences though and I am really pleased you liked it. I will post more in the new year.

Hi Dimitris,

Thanks for your kind compliments.

You've hit on the achilles heel with those trills. I too have thought recently that they may be superfluous, but that was partly because I couldn't get the damper pedal to work without glitching, which I suspect is the instruments fault as my DAW is pretty powerful. They needed pedalling and the sound is wrong without even though they are part of the fugue theme in augmentation.

Hi David,

I'm flattered that you have given it more time.

Too many people are not prepared to give music written say in the last 100 years more than one chance to speak to them.

It's a shame, because the rewards of persisting with what at first seems incomprehensible, more often than not, far outweigh any time spent in getting to know a piece. Please understand, I am not talking about my humble effort here, rather work by acknowledged masters, of which there are many. I admire your attitude David, I had it and have still got it and it has enriched my musical life considerably.

Thanks again

Mike,

I'd made a point to listen to these with the new year, as you had alluded to your intent to post them. Where's #1, or did you skip it and post #2 first?

Hi Kris,

Thanks for the bump (where do you get those ace graphics?)...and how much do I owe you?

Number 1 was under revision at the time. The first 4 are done now. I will post them when I get off my arse and put them into Sibelius. 

Mike, you can simply right click on the graphic and "save image as" onto your computer. I'll send along my Paypal info.

..oh, you might need this one, just in case you find yourself in the unfortunate predicament of discussing just about anything with a few choice members here: (that is, until your comments disappear in the dark of night)

Mike Hewer said:

Hi Kris,

Thanks for the bump (where do you get those ace graphics?)...and how much do I owe you?

Number 1 was under revision at the time. The first 4 are done now. I will post them when I get off my arse and put them into Sibelius. 

LOL...Excellent.....just the tonic I needed, thanks Kris. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service