Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I'd like to drag this off of Ray's thread.

Views: 1167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Roger,

And now you are being juvenile in Bob M's thread.

So you restored an old car. Why bother? There aren't many of them left. Do you need a graph? Only a small number of people interested in it. And you can't responsibly drive it as I'm sure it's a polluter. Or don't you care about the environment, either. 

As for your free speech? What do you possibly know about free speech? You believe you have the right to say whatever you want. If someone doesn't "get it", it's not your fault. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should do it. Do you remember the biker bar last year in some state ( don't remember) where open carry is legal? They had free speech and weapons and as a result several of them are dead. Way to go. Oh, but speech is harmless, right?

Socrates has dismissed your arguments as pointless, but you haven't "gotten it" yet.

We are waiting for you to say something rational. 

"Do you negate common sense, intuition or experience from other venues

as less valuable than a formal 'institution' education in music, suggesting they can't be applied to music?"

I'm suggesting you need at least a pie chart or something, otherwise you'll never get taken seriously.

"Does everyone have to be the 'best' to offer an opinion for discussion?"

It is an advantage not to be the worst, certainly.

"Your consistent attempts to bash me are an exercise in futility."

And yet here you are . . . being angry. And you'll deny it :)

"You only promote your own egotistical short comings. ergo- punk"

"Punk c_nt", if you don't mind.

"From my vantage point, your postings pale 'dramatically' compared to those of Socrates

Mike Hewer and others."

This would be more of a concern if I was trying to get you, Mike or Socrates to commission me.

"How much did you pay for that 'high horse'?"

If investing in one's knowledge and portfolio is a 'high horse', you should consider acquiring one of your own.

Bob, you want something rational?   well then,   you are irrational and off the cuff

ridiculous.      If you had the opportunity to restore a 1960 Corvette or an 1860 harpsichord,

which one would you choose? Which would be a better investment of your time and

energies?  I have no love for the Corvette, I simply found an opportunity, and made the

most of it. I do love the older model cars though. I would really like to restore a pre '53 pickup.

Believe it or not, I do monitor and gauge my 'freedom of speech'.

And yes, if you don't 'get' what I say, it is not a fault, but it is your fault. Get it?

How could anyone possibly cater to each and every individual's interpretation

of the words he uses to express something. Bob, that is irrational and absurd.

As for Socrates, I respect his opinions and educated articulation immensely.

The fact that he may dismiss my point of view is his choice and prerogative.

At least he offers something of substance into the discussion, without competitive judgment.

Perhaps you didn't quite grasp my reply to his last post.

I'm not going to spend 4 hours searching out 'statistics' to back up my opinion.

Take it or leave it... or prove me wrong.  I believe that the harpsichord has had it's

days of glory, and that whatever prominence it enjoyed in the past is not going to be regained.

That's as rational as I need to be on the subject.

Roger,

And still you have to have the last word. If you truly didn't care you would have left this thread a long time ago. But your ego won't let you. 

I was a mechanic most my adult life. I've forgotten more about your 'vette than you will ever know. The harpsichord is far more intricate and interesting. You keep asking people to make value judgments based on your values. That's not how it works. You don't get to do that. If someone wants to spend their time doing something, that's their business and none of yours.

I'm not asking you to cater to anyone. I am asking you to say something intelligible. I've been asking you tell me why someone shouldn't write for harpsichord. All you've given me is why YOU wouldn't write for it. That is not the question. 8 pages and you still don't "get it". Not my fault.

Then you say it will never be popular again. How could you possibly know that? And why is popularity important?

You have one shot to bring to this discussion something meaningful. You pretend to value discussion. Let's have some discussion. I do value discussion. Though I haven't gotten to have much in my own thread because you won't answer a simple question. If you can't answer it, that's OK too. As long as you admit it. 

Or you could ask me a question. If it has merit, and add to our pool of knowledge, I'll answer it.

Otherwise I'll delete this thread (long over due), and go back to ignoring your posts. 

In the days of yore, surely the Baron Johann Von Keugelschnitzenheimer would have weighed in, vis a cchhheavy akzaint, on this topic; the irredeemable wickedness and misdemeanors of harpsichordism - oh, those pernicious plectrum pluckers!

Lawrence Aurich said:

Sir Christopher Von Emerig Esq. III of Ulm,

I write this missive with tearful eye and heavy heart. You may be aware that Sir Robert has chosen to deem this most magnificent instrument as “poor”. Furthermore, some members of the forum, wretched men of questionable reputation and honor, have stooped so low as to call the harpsichord “tinny” and of “lowly volume.” Doth not a cymbal ring tinny? Hath not a bell a tinny ding? Hath not a drum a tinny beat? And what is a harpsichord but a pitched percussion instrument? Surely a harpsichord is the essence of these instruments rolled into one.

Regarding the allegation that the harpsichord hath a lowly volume. Sir Johann Sebastian is not amused. He recalls so many impertinent musicians strutting about like peacocks in heat assuming that they were the stars of the concert. His Brandenburg V is nothing if not a harpsichord concerto, and his elegant harpsichord arpeggios shall never be obscured by fiddling baboons.

So what must one do to right this wrong, to atone for this injustice? Oh Christopher, I implore you to use your formidable powers of persuasion to compel these nattering nabobs of negativism to abandon their unjust criticism of the harpsichord, and instead to compose glorious harpsichord concertos the likes of which have never been heard before. I have a dream that someday a new invention will amplify the sound of the harpsichord without altering its timbre or resonance. Only then will the harpsichord assume its rightful place, center stage in the greatest concert halls on earth.

Now as the candle dims and the plume runneth dry, I bid you a very fine adieu.

Lawrence Von Aurich

This seventeenth day of August in the year of our Lord. MDCCXVII.

(This missive was gleaned from the archives of the composers forum circa 1717.)

Kristofer Emerig said:

What! The fugue indicted, and now the harpsichord disqualified and unfriended? Whatever could be behind this?

If Henry Ford were instead the object of his jealous obsession, he'd have have the much more nettlesome task of proving the obsolescence of the automobile and mass production; thank goodness for low hanging fruit, so that those short of intellect may yet find nourishment.

Plausible, however understated. I wouldn't venture you've 4 hours cumulative research backing up your entire world view.

roger stancill said:

I'm not going to spend 4 hours searching out 'statistics' to back up my opinion.

Hi Bob, No... I can't tell you or anyone else how to spend you time, nor can I

chose your values for you. My 'prediction' was based on no more than my own

personal and general observations. It is not a prophesy of some divine order.

I also have no control over anyone else as to how much, if any at all, stock and

value they may read into my words. I'm sure that all of you are far more educated

than I am. As I have said before, I have no Degrees and taught myself to play the piano.

I am not a scholar, my articulation is often lacking and my spelling ain't perfect.  So, who's is?

As stated previously;

I believe that the harpsichord has had it's

days of glory, and that whatever prominence it enjoyed in the past is not going to be regained.

That's as rational as I need to be on the subject. Feel free to disagree, and please don't stop

writing for whatever you enjoy, IF you truly enjoy it.   10-4     Roger, over and out

Roger,

Thank you for a clear,measured response. Had you said that weeks ago, things would have gone much easier. 

It's not about education, or degrees. Though turning on spell-check is a simple thing. I can't spell for beans. 

It's about taking into consideration how what you say might effect others. Ignore that, if you like. But then don't be surprised at a negative backlash There's a time and place and a way to express yourself. 

Even the ACLU is starting to reevaluate free speech.

Kristofer,

I have not heard from the Bareend Johann since he was appointed to head the council on "The Arts, The Sciences, the Occult and Other Arcane Matters"  by the arch duke of Lower Slobovia.  You will recall that Slobovia was divided into Lower Slobovia and Slower Slobovia after the war.  The forum would be delighted and humbled to hear from such a prestigious guest.  These are desperate times, and desperate times require desperate solutions.  I can say with certainty that no one has as much schooling and experience in desperation as Herr Keugelschnitzenheimer.   
 Kristofer Emerig said:

In the days of yore, surely the Baron Johann Von Keugelschnitzenheimer would have weighed in, vis a cchhheavy akzaint, on this topic; the irredeemable wickedness and misdemeanors of harpsichordism - oh, those pernicious plectrum pluckers!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service