Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Wikipdedia: Polonaise, dance of Polish origin in ¾ time. It became popular in Europe in the 17th century. Most every famous composer has written a Polonaise.

It is usually in a moderate tempo and pompous or grand for a royal or military procession.

This seems like an appropriate dance to introduce the second half of the Suite of Antique Dances. I am posting it now because it contains a circle of fifths, alluded to recently on the forum. Can you identify the circle if fifths without looking at the score? (It is supposed to be cleverly disguised). Any expertise on bowing is especially appreciated because these are the most difficult string parts I have attempted to notate.

Views: 102

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lawrence, I was having a quick look in the forum and I opened your thread. I did not have time to listen, i' ll come another time for that. I opened your pdf for a look and i noticed some irregularity in the viola part 3rd bar-3rd beat.

The quaver chord d-f# is not playable as both notes are only obtainable on the 4th string.

Socrates,

At first I thought I had forgotten to include that all parts are divided, so the "chord" is played by two violas.  But I wrote it in at the beginning.  I double up parts to keep the score readable.  Thanks.

Seems no one wants to bite on my challenge.  The circle of fifths was the bassoon  solo at m. 70.  I used a four measure sequence played four times each a fifth lower through the keys B,E,A,D.  There was a two measure intro then the sequence repeated.  The third time was with a second part, the bass clarinet and the fourth time it ended higher for the finale. 

I want to expound on Julie Harris's comment:  The circle of fifths is not passe.   Usually a sequence is a short phrase, one or two measures at the most.  This time it is four measures with variations.  With a little imagination, the circle of fifths will remain a part of the composers repertoire for a very long time.

Well said, Lawrence!

I'm sorry I somehow missed your Circle of Fifths challenge!  I would have loved ferreting out that sequence ...

I am not skilled enough of a musician/composer to answer on any of the technical portions, but just wanted to post that I thought the piece was lovely. I like how it went slightly "hopeful" towards the end instead of remaining in the minor key the entire way.

Keith, thanks for listening.  The next piece, Polka, is very up beat.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

donate

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service