Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi,

Here is the third movement of my work 'Piece for Brass and Strings'.

An experimental Mp3 output of Cakewalk and a MuseSCORE Mp3

and the score are attached.  There is astill a lot to learn about Cakewalk.

I could not figure out how to put silence to the end of the tracks for 

example.  Also, how to increase clarity...  I have to find out how to use

clips also...  Any advise is welcome.

The last movement is related to the first and second movement.

Some material is taken and developed with new techniques.

This movement begins as if at the half but recapitulates to it

and brings a sense of completeness or closure...

Critics are strongly welcome.  WE learn from each other here.

Ali R+

Views: 111

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool piece. Two remarks.

You have sort of an ABCA strcture. The frantic strings in the B part are very cool, but then C has an intensity level that is not much different from A, so to me that deflates the piece. I'm kinda wondering "what does this section do here".

Second remark: that final chord. No, really. and with an octave drop even? Why? You have beautiful hazy harmonies throughout that suggest that they are motivated more by horizontal lines than vertical tonality, and then suddenly you end on that silly unison? Why not end equally mysteriously as you started?

Hi Victor,

The piece is designed as a variation based on material from the first movement.  So it is A A A A.  But it also has an upper level form of A B transition A.  There is an identifiable entity but it has the function of transition to recap of A.  It is not C, and it does prepare A with material from A.  IT also continues the development of material from A which comes from A B.  Be careful it does not have an ending, just dissonance...  Then A recaps.

There are many more things that can be noticed when it is studied (which needs time understandably).

The ending...  I had the same urgency to use the beginning chords to finish it,  I tried and experimented.  Every time it failed.  The reason is:  This is a variation.  It does not have to run into its beautiful end.  It practically has no end at all.

The beauty lies in the variation and its manipulations of the basic theme.  

I appreciate your time and caring listen but there are more to it than a simple ending.

All the best.

Ali

By the way, why variations? Variation form provides a framework in which I could express/think about frames - the name of the movement.

But the actual piece does the opposite of what you say here. It has the beautiful ending to end all beautiful endings. It's about as classical an ending as ever. Beethoven would have been proud.

I know that you have a reasoning behind things; I'm just saying the impression it makes on me.

V.

Ali Riza SARAL said:

This is a variation.  It does not have to run into its beautiful end.  It practically has no end at all.

Hi Dane,

I finally figured out how I can increase velocity locally in Cakewalk.

I increased the Vn1, Vn2 and Vla parts' velocity locally beginning with bar 51.  I also decreased the Trumpet

at the beginning and increased Vn1 and Vn2 a bit locally.  The result is attached.

Also, I added space at the end with the generate-->space command of Audacity. 

I will add a technical note about Cakewalk for beginners at the Technical forum

including:

-How to change volume of MIDI tracks locally

-How to create/merge clips

-How to create multiple track clips

-How to change volume locally in a clip

-How to use template softsynth setups for not creating softsynths one by one for each movement.

with detailed pictures.

Thank you very much for your precious suggestions.

Cheers.

Ali
Dane Aubrun said:

Hi, Ali,

Unfortnuately I know nothing about Cakewalk, but it looks like things are coming on fine. The Cakewalk rendering is better than the musiscore one which is quite insensitive by comparison. The strings at bar 51 were lost in both however.

I referred to the score after listening a couple of times. Interesting harmonies and the interplay between brass and strings. If I remember, this is stylistically quite close to movement 1 (and some of your earlier pieces). It flows well. There shouldn't be performance problems. Just those strings in the middle section need a higher dynamic for the sake of the rendering. Maybe worth copying it to see how that would affect the sound?

Well done, Ali. 

Until later,

Dane.

Hi Dane,

My apologies, I forgot to attach the final output:

Here it is.

Attachments:

Hi, Ali,

To me those string passages do add something to the section from bars 51 to 67; they aren't intrusive, just a pale background to the brass figures. I think their total absence would leave that section bleak. There isn't enough time for string players to get mutes on but they could probably play at that very low dynamic. 

Let's see if others have things to say about it.

Nice. And good that you sorted out the velocity issues. The work seems to have been worth it. Also noted that you use Audacity for trimming. Most useful piece of software, that.

Cheers for now.

Ali Riza SARAL said:

Hi Dane,

I finally figured out how I can increase velocity locally in Cakewalk.

I increased the Vn1, Vn2 and Vla parts' velocity locally beginning with bar 51.  I also decreased the Trumpet

at the beginning and increased Vn1 and Vn2 a bit locally.  The result is attached.

Also, I added space at the end with the generate-->space command of Audacity. 

Cheers.

Ali

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service