Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi all
Here is a new piano piece I've written in Classical style sonata form. I hope you like it and I'd welcome any feedback you might have!
Dan

https://youtu.be/dlqDGZ5r0uw

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow this sounds great Dan, I'm hearing all the sonata form with themes, development and recap.  I'm no Sonata expert but musically this works quite well, you have dynamics and phrasing details; I don't see any tempo markings unless I missed them. Even for straight classical a little expressive tempo change is nice, up to you of course. Good work!

Hi Daniel,

The piece has everything, grace, fun, eloquence, character, delight, structure, innovation, and competence, the only thing I want to know is where can I find you in the piece?

I found Mozart, and at times Beethoven, also occasionally there was a hint of clementi and haydn, but you I have still yet to discover...

Very nice composition. Takes me back to another era. My only thoughts on it are that it could possible be a bit slower. Obviously a real pianist would give it a more human feel. Midi always sounds so....midi.

Hi

Have t agree with Saul. Why put so much work and craft in producing Mozart's music? Not that Mozart is bad or anything but it's not you.

Hi all, thanks for your comments and feedback. I do understand Christophe and Saul's points however in response I would say that we all have to select a style. For me, I aim for Classical period because it is my favourite era and I think naturally when faced with a compositional quandary, I choose the option that sounds most pleasing to me musically.

My ambition with the piece was more to showcase those techniques that I have been developing so far rather than to try something altogether personal. I think I do need to further develop my Voice though. How does one do that?! It's never been a conscious strategy thus far: I simply write what I like (Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Tchaikovsky...)

Nevertheless I'm glad that on a technical level the piece is pleasing to most.

Hi Daniel,

It is the fundamental question for each composer to ask of themselves - "who do I want to be?" If you want to write in a style of the past, then you can continue on as you have. If you want to try to find a new style, then I would suggest start by listening to everything you can, including things you normally don't listen to. There are many fine composers in jazz, pop, movie music, house music, game music and other forms of classical besides the "Classical" classical style that Mozart is part of. If you like something new, perhaps it can become an influence on a future work of yours.

Best -

Gav

Thanks Gav.
I guess for me the question is this:
Is it possible in today's age to write a personal work in that old style? Or, will it be assumed that it is not personal?

Hi Daniel,

If all you do is strictly imitate what you have heard in that style, then no, I don't think it is possible. But if you can take that style as an influence and add to it, bring something new to it, then, yes, I think it is possible.

Gav

Hi Daniel.. Really solid workmanship.  My only quibble on that level,was that i could have more of the LH part doing echo, or sharing - passing back and forth, melodic content…although though there was some of that.. perhaps some passage work in 16ths that wasn't 'alberti' acc. …etc.. Also, I found the repeats too much.. (although, of course, it is par for the course in a Mozartesque structuring.. but I find that aspect especially dated.  Other than these few things, i think it is a bang up job, and very musical, indeed. (And I would argue, it is that quality that is very important,,, One tries to compose Each piece - as musically as one can, regardless of the stylistic impositions adopted.. Schoenberg, half in jest, said that  “There is still plenty of good music to be written in C major.”  :)

I don't know how long you have been composing, but it IMHO is not necessary to 'find your voice' right away..By going deeper into the music you love, you learn what has been successful … Perhaps some mixing of styles - your favorites - might be something to try, as you look at this question of 'originality'.. That is a natural way in, and fro9m there , ideas may start ricocheting … Like , what if you mixed up a bit of Mozart w Tchaikovsky (as i see you have mentioned him.. )?

Searching for identity sometimes easier to find from a sideways glance..:)  as the question itself (being almost an ultimatum,) has the questioner 'freeze up' a bit…  Kind of like if i was yo ask you "Who are You?!" 

(One must assess things As they come… the ultimate, i leave to philosophers, if they must.

Finally, i would say, follow your heart.

Great advice Gregorio as always!  On the subject of 'finding your voice' I'd like to add that many composers find sources of inspiration in things that are not directly related to Mozart or Bach eg.folk music, art, cinema, nature etc.  It's kind of like taking a break from working on a difficult problem to take a walk or watch TV and let your mind subconsciously find a new approach to something. This could help while working on a single piece but it's also a long range exercise in finding out what really matters to you.

gregorio X said:

Hi Daniel.. Really solid workmanship.  My only quibble on that level,was that i could have more of the LH part doing echo, or sharing - passing back and forth, melodic content…although though there was some of that.. perhaps some passage work in 16ths that wasn't 'alberti' acc. …etc.. Also, I found the repeats too much.. (although, of course, it is par for the course in a Mozartesque structuring.. but I find that aspect especially dated.  Other than these few things, i think it is a bang up job, and very musical, indeed. (And I would argue, it is that quality that is very important,,, One tries to compose Each piece - as musically as one can, regardless of the stylistic impositions adopted.. Schoenberg, half in jest, said that  “There is still plenty of good music to be written in C major.”  :)

I don't know how long you have been composing, but it IMHO is not necessary to 'find your voice' right away..By going deeper into the music you love, you learn what has been successful … Perhaps some mixing of styles - your favorites - might be something to try, as you look at this question of 'originality'.. That is a natural way in, and fro9m there , ideas may start ricocheting … Like , what if you mixed up a bit of Mozart w Tchaikovsky (as i see you have mentioned him.. )?

Searching for identity sometimes easier to find from a sideways glance..:)  as the question itself (being almost an ultimatum,) has the questioner 'freeze up' a bit…  Kind of like if i was yo ask you "Who are You?!" 

(One must assess things As they come… the ultimate, i leave to philosophers, if they must.

Finally, i would say, follow your heart.

It is a great composition, very talented.

I think it would benefit much from a real playing. Or you could introduce some tempo variations in the notation, e.g. rituando at some places to make it more emotional. 

I enjoyed the listening a lot.

Kjell

Daniel, I really enjoyed the pace , dynamics, and dialogue between hands. Good job. this was colorful with 'never a dull moment'.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service